Algae identification please and guidance

Ztoom

What type of algae do I have growing?  best way to take care of?  My nitrites are zero, nitrates are sitting around 5ppm to 10ppm, ammonia is zero and phosphate is 0.00 to 0.25ppm if that, basically undetectable.  Ph is 7.4 to 7.6 range. 

75 gallon planted tank. 

Thanks for you any help!

441E1542-34A2-4EAB-8F35-44AAF50622D8.jpeg

CD81CC6C-480B-49C8-AEA3-5A09852AD2B4.jpeg

830746D9-04CC-4EA8-95E4-995D0D2B653D.jpeg

On 3/24/2022 at 4:40 PM, Ztoom said:

I have been using the easy green by Aquarium co-op as per the bottles directions,  twice a week for medium light tanks.  Should I be using something else in conjunction with this?  My substrates is loaded with aqua soil and root tabs.  Thanks

nope that includes what you need. Depending on things like plants, fish load, food amount, and what types of plants you're using you may need to dose easy iron but I think you're perfectly fine with what you're doing.   Try doing a dose every other day and see if that gets your plants a bit happier (and lowers the algae).

Essentially, 75G tank, let's say it's a 8 pumps every 3-4 days (16 per week).  I would suggest trying to "up that" to 5-6 pumps every 2 days (slightly more than 18 pumps per week).  The bottle directions are correct, but your plants may be indicating they are missing some nutrients and simply need more ferts.  You have a good amount of plants, so it makes sense.

Edit: Especially with the stem / floaters, that is very likely the issue. The floaters love ferts.

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Thanks 1

I’m going to say staghorn algae. It’s considered tenacious, but there are ways to control it.  Here’s my recipe:

-reduce light duration or intensity. For a newer tank I’d start with 7hrs. 

-manual removal

-dosing Easy Carbon or Seachem Excel. 

- add more plants, especially fast growing stems to help outcompete the algae

• Like 2

On 3/24/2022 at 8:09 PM, Patrick_G said:

I’m going to say staghorn algae. It’s considered tenacious, but there are ways to control it.  Here’s my recipe:

-reduce light duration or intensity. For a newer tank I’d start with 7hrs. 

-manual removal

-dosing Easy Carbon or Seachem Excel. 

- add more plants, especially fast growing stems to help outcompete the algae

I was wondering if it was staghorn algae, that is what I was leaning towards as well.  Could you recommend a list of fast growing stem plants, sorry I am new to these plants.

thanks

On 3/24/2022 at 6:29 PM, Ztoom said:

I was wondering if it was staghorn algae, that is what I was leaning towards as well.  Could you recommend a list of fast growing stem plants, sorry I am new to these plants.

thanks

It looks like you have a great crop of Wisteria going. That’s definitely one of my favorites for easy, fast growers. Pogostemon Stellatus Octopus is another that works well for me. I love any excuse to add more plants.  Your tank looks great! The algae might expand a bit but you’ll eventually find a balance with light, plant mass and fertilizer. At that point algae will be less of a problem. 

• Like 1