GH SPIKE

Kurt Brutting

My last water change was Friday and I tested yesterday and today my GH is usually 150ppm or 8.4 degrees, but it doubled since Friday. Now it’s 300ppm or 16.8 degrees. I dose Seachem Equilibrium and I use a digital scale to measure what I’m adding. I always add 5 grams each week to my planted 40 breeder. This is the aquarium with my Panda Cory’s and I’m worried about this GH spike. Should I do another water change with no Equilibrium to bring down the GH or should I just wait until my next water change next week? Help is appreciated I do not want to shock the system!

On 3/20/2022 at 9:02 AM, Kurt Brutting said:

My last water change was Friday and I tested yesterday and today my GH is usually 150ppm or 8.4 degrees, but it doubled since Friday. Now it’s 300ppm or 16.8 degrees. I dose Seachem Equilibrium and I use a digital scale to measure what I’m adding. I always add 5 grams each week to my planted 40 breeder. This is the aquarium with my Panda Cory’s and I’m worried about this GH spike. Should I do another water change with no Equilibrium to bring down the GH or should I just wait until my next water change next week? Help is appreciated I do not want to shock the system!

I would not worry about it, I would check pH though just to be sure it hasn't been thrown way off. 

I had a similar situation a few years ago. Tested new tap water before moving in, PH 7.5, GH was high but KH was not. Moved, did a couple water changes and tests during that first week but stopped testing. Did a test 3 weeks after move and found my PH, GH, and KH all maxed out on the chart.

What I found out was that with limestone well water, or even small towns that draw from large limestone wells for municipal tap water, there is very little oxygen. There was enough for my fish to survive, but as the oxygen level increased, the O2 activated the KH and increased KH and PH, and possibly the GH reading as well. The physical solids responsible for KH had been there all along, but chemically it wasn't reacting in the water the way it does once it's oxygenated.

I use an RO mix for most tanks, the guppy-only tanks being the exception.

I left one 10 gallon tank to test guppy grass, marimo balls, and anubias in full 9.0 PH liquid rock water, and they did well, so I use them. Haven't tested crypts in full liquid rock yet.

Edit: The PH change always seems to be nice and gradual any time I start up a new tank. I realize this might not be relevant because you didn't mention the KH or PH readings.

Edited by BrettD
  • Thanks 1

On 3/20/2022 at 11:16 AM, Kurt Brutting said:

@Wrencher_ScottPH is steady thank goodness. I did add alder cones and Indian almond leaves this past week, but I don’t know if that would raise GH? 

I'm no chemist but I doubt those would do much to GH or pH. 

I think as long as your pH is good there is nothing to worry about. You do need a small amount of GH for fish (about 60) and 150 is on the high side but is fine for adult fish. 

As for plants I have no idea. I only keep super easy plants like Anubis and Java ferns. I don't fertilize either because the fish and their water is most important to me.  

My tap water is around 100 GH and I only top off my tank with RO so it won't climb because minerals don't evaporate, only pure water does. 

Edited by Wrencher_Scott
  • Thanks 1

My tap average is 250-300 gh. My panda Cory spawn weekly. Off the top of my head I think I remember equilibrium saying it stays active for a month and may build up but it’s been awhile since I read it so I don’t quite remember.  Something to double check though.  

• Thanks 1