My betta has dropsy

ChanMan

On 3/20/2022 at 4:46 AM, Colu said:

What are your water parameters and can you take a picture of the sick fish and how long has he had symptoms such as pineconing

I noticed the pineconing on Friday.  I did a water change Friday night, but forgot to test the water first.  A day after the water change I tested the water and ammonia was between 0.25-0.50, nitrites were 0, and nitrates were between 40-80.  I also have live plants an in the tank and they’re all thriving.  I did another water change after testing the water.  The other fish in the tank are doing fine.

Edited by ChanMan

High levels of nitrates can effect fish immune system coupled with the ammonia  are probably the cause daily water changes and add a double dose of prime to detoxify any ammonia or nitrites till it gets to zero if you can get a 5 gallon tank or you can use a plastic tote to Qarantine him   the most effective treatment I have found for Dropsy is kanaplex dose the tank to treat any possible bacterial infections    metroplex in food feeding a small amount twice a day for 3 weeks treats aeromonas bacteria a common cause of Dropsy and aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 2 gallons to help reduce the fluid buildup or you can do Epsom salt baths 1 table spoon for 2 gallons for no more than 15 minutes @ChanMan

1000000024.png

Edited by Colu

On 3/20/2022 at 1:26 PM, Colu said:

High levels of nitrates can effect fish immune system coupled with the ammonia  are probably the cause daily water changes and add a double dose of prime to detoxify any ammonia or nitrites till it gets to zero if you can get a 5 gallon tank or you can use a plastic tote to Qarantine him   the most effective treatment I have found for Dropsy is kanaplex in food metroplex to treat the water column   metroplex treats aeromonas bacteria a common cause of Dropsy and aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 2 gallons to help reduce the fluid buildup or you can do Epsom salt baths 1 table spoon for 2 gallons for no more than 15 minutes @ChanMan

Screenshot_20210806-030958~2.png

Do I need a filter in the tote or will an air stone be good enough?

Sorry to hear that I would do  water change and monitor your other fish Dropsy isn't contagious need to look at the root cause which was probably the ammonia and nitirte spike keep doing daily water changes and add prime to detoxify any ammonia or nitrites