Can you identify this fish? Cory? Catfish?

Carrie Ford

Hello, a coworker of a friend wanted to get rid of his 5 gallon tank, so my friend got it for me.  I need assistance in IDing this one fish though.  Looks like maybe a type of cory, but I'm not sure and he didn't know either.   

Poor lil guys... 1 glolight tetra and this catfish all alone.

imagejpeg_1.jpg

Cory, not sure what kind (Bronze maybe?).  The fact that he was still long enough for you to get a picture is kinda sad as I think corys only have one speed (full).  Would probably be ecstatic with some friends.

Edit to add he looks maybe a little hungry too, but could be the angle.

Edited by jwcarlson

Definitely doesn’t look like a bronze.  I have more than enough of those.  I agree with @Beardedbillygoat1975, he looks more like a Brochis to me, too, with that longer dorsal fin.  Bronzes only have 7-8 fin rays in their dorsals, Brochis range from 10-18 depending on species.  Brochis also have a straighter, longer looking face/nose like this guy.  This guy I do think is a Brochis splendens.  They can have far more color variation than most people realize and I’ve seen them nearly as dark as my very dark bronzes.  They have a dorsal fin nearly as few rays as C. aeneus so they are the hardest to tell apart from bronzes until you count those dorsal fin rays - 10-12 in B. splendens which fits for this guy.  He needs some feeding and TLC, for sure.

Edited by Odd Duck