Huge, sudden lump on angelfish eye

Kirsten

Ack! Poor Fafner! I can't imagine this developing in 24 hours, but I've been watching the tank every day and haven't seen it til now:

PXL_20220312_205308065.jpg.449d620e6c8fd78e1899ed45f53a6965.jpg

PXL_20220312_205313103_MP.jpg.2de8335a359e79baf8db6399df049c68.jpg

It's also majorly distended vs his other eye. It this pop eye? All the other fish in the tank (endlers and platys) seem happy and healthy. Just checked their levels this morning and everything looks good: nitrates 50, nitrite 0, GH around 200 (for the livebearers), KH about 40, pH about 6.8, chlorine 0.

What the heck is going on? Should I dose with salt and/or meds?

When it's in one one eye it's usually caused by an injury what I would do is add some Indian almond leaves as they have antibacterial and antifungal properties if you notice no improvement after a couple of day or its getting worse then I would treat with kanaplex in food feed a small amount twice a day for 7 days

Screenshot_20210806-030958~2.png

Edited by Colu

On 3/12/2022 at 6:23 PM, Colu said:

When it's in one one eye it's usually caused by an injury what I would do is add some Indian almond leaves as they have antibacterial and antifungal properties if you notice not improvement after a couple of day or its getting worse then I would treat with kanaplex in food feed a small amount twice a day for 7 days

Thank you so much! I think I still have some almond leaves from back when I had a betta. Will they make the water too acidic, though? Should I put the angel in a quarantine tank?

I would Qarantine and treat almond leaves don't have much of an effect on your pH in larger volume of water  you could also add a small amount of aquarium salt just increase theirs any fluid buildup in the eye 

• Like 1

On 3/12/2022 at 6:33 PM, Colu said:

I would Qarantine and treat almond leaves don't have much of an effect on your pH in larger volume of water  you could also add a small amount of aquarium salt just increase theirs any fluid buildup in the eye 

Gotcha. Either way, yeah, sounds like I should definitely isolate him. My plants are really taking off in this tank with the better lighting I got for them, so I'd hate to hamper them with dark water and/or marine salt. I'm now off to buy Kanaplex, Focus, and Garlic Guard just in case!