How much does seriyu stone raise pH?

IHOctopus

I'm setting up a new 55 gallon planted tank. I bought a bunch of seriyu stone for decor, but I'm having second thoughts. We have very high pH water coming out of our taps here (it maxes out my API test kit at 8.8). I know seriyu is supposed to raise pH....

Side note: I do have a small planted shrimp tank and the aquasiol manages to buffer the water down to 6.8.  But I also know that the buffering capacity of aquasiol diminishes over time.

So should I find a different stone option that wouldn't alter the pH, or hope that the aquasiol helps keep it under control?

On 3/10/2022 at 9:32 AM, IHOctopus said:

I'm setting up a new 55 gallon planted tank. I bought a bunch of seriyu stone for decor, but I'm having second thoughts. We have very high pH water coming out of our taps here (it maxes out my API test kit at 8.8). I know seriyu is supposed to raise pH....

Side note: I do have a small planted shrimp tank and the aquasiol manages to buffer the water down to 6.8.  But I also know that the buffering capacity of aquasiol diminishes over time.

So should I find a different stone option that wouldn't alter the pH, or hope that the aquasiol helps keep it under control?

Depends on the fish you want, long term. Seiryu stone has zero affect on my water chemistry, because my water is already hard, and comes out of the tap between 8.2 and 7.8 pH depending on the time of day and how much water has been running. In an acidic tank, the Seiryu will leach, and generally regular water changes will keep it under control. You can soak in RO water and test the RO water to get an idea of what it can leach if you are running CO2 (acidic, so will increase leach). If your tap water is harder, with higher GH and kH than you get by soaking the Seiryu in RO water, it won't impact your parameters at all.