Care of baby panda cory

Jane

I successfully hatched a panda Cory egg in a mesh breeder box. I noticed it alive on February 10th. I’ve been trying to feed it crushed flakes and betta bug bites twice a day. I occasional suck out any uneaten food. How long should I keep it in the breeder box to keep it alive. Probably won’t get eaten but will it be old enough to find enough food at the bottom of the tank.

it is in a 20 gal high with 3 panda Corys, 3 amano shrimp, 3 black skirts, and 2 bleeding hearts. Moss balls and fake plants.

I'm no expert and just recently collected my first eggs this week, so take this for what it's worth. Before I got the eggs this week, I had a fry hatch and surviving on its own in my main tank. I'm told he's approximately a month old. Earlier today he came out to eat with the adults for the first time and stayed out for awhile. Now I haven't seen him do it since, but that probably means he's nearing the size that's safe to put with adults I assume. Here's some pics of him just days before he came out with the adults. If he was separated I would probably wait a little till he was bigger personally. But idk maybe this helps. I've also read a good indicator of when they are ready is when they look like a mini adult with all the fin parts vs just straight. 

20220226_221349.jpg

20220224_010349.jpg

Edited by Cinnebuns
  • Like 1

On 3/2/2022 at 11:35 PM, Ken Burke said:

I never pull my panda eggs and they seem to get on just fine.  

since they are already separated, I would leave them until they look like very tiny pandas or about 1/4 inch…

Normally, the eggs are breakfast food for the other fish in the tank. Also, I hatched several last summer but it was bad timing because I had to travel out of state and I know babies need fed more often. I let them go in the tank, still very small, and never saw them again. What I have now is close to 1/4 of an inch. 

On 2/26/2022 at 10:02 PM, Fish Folk said:

I think that if you change water, add a few catappa leaves, and feed a small mess of black worms about 30 minutes before lights out, you'll pretty soon find have a ton of eggs in the morning.

On 3/3/2022 at 9:09 AM, Jane said:

Normally, the eggs are breakfast food for the other fish in the tank. Also, I hatched several last summer but it was bad timing because I had to travel out of state and I know babies need fed more often. I let them go in the tank, still very small, and never saw them again. What I have now is close to 1/4 of an inch. 

To be honest, I never see the eggs, babies magically appear.  But I only have a few hets and a betta in the tank with them.  

• Like 1