Acclimating new angelfish

Striper83

Hello,

I just brought home two blue angelfish and have put them in my 10 gallon quarantine tank. When I first brought them home I acclimated them and put them in the tank with the lights off for the first evening to let them settle in. I added some penny and horn wort to the tank to give them some cover to feel more comfortable. My question is the next day when turned on the light they went right to the bottom and hide together in a corner. When the lights go off in the evening they come back out and swim about the tank and eat the food that has settled on the bottom from the earlier feeding. Would you consider this  normal for new angelfish and should I leave the lights off for longer till they get more comfortable? 

Thanks for your time,

Justin91E13E99-AC18-4FDF-8DF7-7A39EF2A9AB1.jpeg.d9d80c83360b204959e4070fef2a9aa4.jpegphoto of when I first introduced them to the tank with lights off and no plants yet.

Hi @Striper83 yeah I think that's pretty normal for a lot of fish and I suspect like discus, new angelfish can be pretty shy. If you can give them a little more cover, makes them feel safer if they know they have somewhere to hide. If you think the light is spooking them, leave it off. I have several fish that are more active at night. If your light has the ability to be dimmed you can try that. The fish don't need the light, it's just for us. 🙃

Thanks xXInkedPhoenixX 

The angels seemed shy at the shop where I bought them so it may be their nature being young. Hopefully they gain some confidence as they get bigger and I put them in my 120 planted tank. I can dim the lights to try to help but also they are going to have to get used to the light at some point living in a planted tank. I guess a gradual approach to the light is a good idea.

thanks again 

• Like 1