Cats Stressing Fish

zayackylepga

Recently moved our cat tree next to the tank dresser and have since been losing fish. Pretty confident it’s nothing to do with quality and that the fish are stressed by the cats. Several water tests and nothing out of the ordinary. Has anyone else got any experience with cats stressing livestock like this?

Yes. My one cat liked to jump on a stand next to one tank. My fish would startle and hide repeatedly until they started staying near the back of the tank. I recommend moving the cat tree. If there are any unknown stress factors coupled with the cat tree it may be too much for them. 

It might not be the cause of your fish dying, but it if the fish are reacting when the cats are there, then I would move the cat tree next to a window and feed the birds outside the window. Put a wind chime on the feeder so the cats know when a squirrel is there. They cats will love it, and the birds will be happy for the food and the ability to escape as far away as they wish.

Since stressed fish are more prone to diseases, I would say it could be a factor. I have a cat that think the kuhli loaches are his toys (they don't seem to mind and ignore him). He also thinks the fish food is his and the filter on back is his drinking fountain, constantly pulling my Pothos out of his way.

• Haha 1