Kuhli loach color faded/pink?

illconceivedart

Hello, 

I recently obtained 8 kuhli loaches from my LFS and noticed that two or three have really pink/faded sides, whereas the others have pronounced dark brown/yellow striping.

I've read faded color on a kuhli can be caused by parameter issues, water changes, ect. My parameters are solid, and I do a weekly 25-30% water change. My question is: Why would only a couple of them have this discoloration? Is it age related, genetics, or something else I may be overlooking?

At first I thought it might be because I got two different types of kuhli loaches, but all of the patterns and sizes reflect the standard Pangio Kuhli that is most common in the hobby.

Please take a look at the attached pic and notice the difference in coloration between the two.image.png.2914907c3f3ebc7dfe96f555c9ba4357.png

On 2/20/2022 at 8:27 PM, illconceivedart said:

Hello, 

I recently obtained 8 kuhli loaches from my LFS and noticed that two or three have really pink/faded sides, whereas the others have pronounced dark brown/yellow striping.

I've read faded color on a kuhli can be caused by parameter issues, water changes, ect. My parameters are solid, and I do a weekly 25-30% water change. My question is: Why would only a couple of them have this discoloration? Is it age related, genetics, or something else I may be overlooking?

At first I thought it might be because I got two different types of kuhli loaches, but all of the patterns and sizes reflect the standard Pangio Kuhli that is most common in the hobby.

Please take a look at the attached pic and notice the difference in coloration between the two.image.png.2914907c3f3ebc7dfe96f555c9ba4357.png

i never had Kuhli loach. but my yoyo loaches do this from time to time then color back up after a day or two.

The only time my kuhli faded was when it went into the canister filter and stayed there for 3 months. I presumed it was lack of light; after I found it and removed it - it stayed paled for a couple of days then recovered the normal colour. I would presume it is stressed for some reason but if the other kuhli are fine I wouldn't be able to guess...  However since it is a new fish perhaps it is something that happened at the shop...