Emily Z

Hey, it's been a while since I've posted here, but I'm back. So for the past two months, my Betta, Ciel, has had this white growth on his dorsal fin. The white spot on his lip was there for 6 months, but yesterday it started to look fleshy and pulposus. I wasn't sure how to identify it, because at first it resembled a fungus or columnaris, but the pictures I saw online didn't match with it. Apparently bacteria forms on the lip, but the white stuff on his lip didn't bother him nor did it grow til yesterday. Unsure, I treated with Maracyn and Ich X, but it made no difference. If it's not a bacteria or a fungus, it could be a virus or cancer, which I read to have no cure.

Otherwise, Ciel has acted completely normal. His swimming is normal, he's eager to eat, and he naps a lot, but he's an old fish- I've had him since February 2020. The white stuff doesn't seem to bother him, because I don't see him rubbing his back on the rocks or anything like that. The stuff is now eating away at his dorsal fin and there's raised lumps under his scales around his dorsal fin, plus his lip is starting to turn flesh colored and bulge as well. Still, it doesn't seem to affect his behavior or health at all. At this point, I'm completely clueless to what this is. I'm thinking it might be benign tumors, and I'm worried on what to do now. Can anyone identify what this is and give me any tips? Is he at a point where I can't help him? Thanks for the help.

Edit: His water parameters are normal, his water temperature is 77°, he eats a variety of food from Omega One Buffet Pellets, Hikari Bio Gold, API flakes, and bloodworms, KH is 3 and GH is 8. I've been having trouble cleaning the algae (I don't have shrimp or snails because there's no moss or enough hiding spots), but I don't think that's affecting him much.

IMG_20220220_215426544.jpg.9cdcf125253e38d6eb8031d14613d400.jpgIMG_20220220_215722337.jpg.145cb49e8da978098999643da1b19e32.jpgIMG_20220220_215345538.jpg.e70a08d9eeda364e214885337ca6a42a.jpg

Edited by Emily Z

With the symptoms your describing could be a tumor viral or bacterial infection what I would do is treat with maracyn2 in food the active ingredient minocycline is effective at shrinking some types of lumps i would add to his food use 1 quarter of a packet of maracyn2 1 table spoon of pellets 1 scoop of seachems focus 1 cap of garlic guard mix well and feed  a small amount twice a day for 1 week store any leftover medicated food in the fridge

Hello, I've never tried medicated food before, so how do I do this? Would I take my pellets in a glass, and pour the correct amount of garlic guard, seachem focus, and mardel maracyn in there at once? How long would I need to soak that combination for?

I've been doing research and I'm also considering using API Fin and Body Cure and API Pimafix, but I don't know how well these medications work. I read on API's website that it's safe to use their products together at once, and that it is also safe to use Pimafix with Maracyn, but I don't know if it's safe to also include Fin and Body Cure in that mixture. Also, would any of this affect the bio-cycle of my tank? I'm guessing at most that my fish has a gram-negative bacteria, since the bacteria seems to be under his skin around his dorsal fin or it could be lymphocytes, but I could be wrong because I don't have much experience with disease and illnesses.

And thanks for the suggestion, I'll definitely be trying the medicated food out, but my concern here is on what antibiotics to use, how, the amount I should use, etc.

Edited by Emily Z

Put the table spoon of pellets in a jug or jar  and sprinkle maracyn2 and seachems focus over the pellets add the one cap of garlic guard and a few drops of water mix it together usually leave it half an hour  for the pellets to adsorb the medication primafix is a herbal treatment and not effective at treating bacterial infections I wouldn't use it unless I had no alternative I would finish your course of api fin and body cure and do a course of maracyn2 in food for one week maracyn2 treats gram negative bacterial @Emily Z

@ColuThank you so much! I have already begun medication yesterday, though there are no signs of change yet. My fish's behavior remains normal and the lump on his lip has swelled up and turned slightly red underneath- I'm not sure what this means.

I have one more question: How effective is aquarium salt and what could I use it for? I have a whole box of it my father bought for me to use for my sick betta, and I am not sure if it is safe to use with the medication or if it will not do anything for my betta's condition. Thank you once more! Your advice has really helped me!

On 2/27/2022 at 11:08 PM, Emily Z said:

@ColuThank you so much! I have already begun medication yesterday, though there are no signs of change yet. My fish's behavior remains normal and the lump on his lip has swelled up and turned slightly red underneath- I'm not sure what this means.

I have one more question: How effective is aquarium salt and what could I use it for? I have a whole box of it my father bought for me to use for my sick betta, and I am not sure if it is safe to use with the medication or if it will not do anything for my betta's condition. Thank you once more! Your advice has really helped me!

Aquarium safe to use with antibiotic medication it helps to improve Gill function and adds essential electrolytes to help reduce stress in your fish it also treats fungal and external bacterial infections at higher concentration as you have live plants would add no more than 1 table spoon for 5 gallons at that level it shouldn't harm your plants just remember to only put the amount of salt back in that you take out so if you do a 5 gallon water change put 1 table spoon back in I would use it along side maracyn2

Edited by Colu