Panda Cory Fry?

Cinnebuns

What are the chances of my panda cories having laid eggs and hatched without me noticing?  I totally just saw a fry swim by on the bottom that I'm pretty sure was a cory. Looks just like the Google pic I saw. The only other fish in the tank are guppies and I've only had the females for 1 week and they are still very pregnant.

Assuming it is a panda cory fry, what's the chances of survival?  I wish I coulda netted it before it went back into hiding. 

Leave it to me to be the person who breeds a cory before getting my guppies to breed...

Edited by Cinnebuns
  • Like 1

Very possible. I found a Pygmy Cory already out of the fry stage and into juvenile stage. (I never even seen eggs) My panda Cory lay eggs every where but never on the glass so I’m afraid to gravel vac because I fear sucking up fry. 

Edited by Guppysnail

On 2/16/2022 at 4:52 AM, Guppysnail said:

Very possible. I found a Pygmy Cory already out of the fry stage and into juvenile stage. (I never even seen eggs) My panda Cory lay eggs every where but never on the glass so I’m afraid to gravel vac because I fear sucking up fry. 

On 2/16/2022 at 10:29 AM, Cinnebuns said:

I just gravel vacced earlier before I saw the fry. That's literally what I thought. Thank God I didn't suck it up!

And this is why I use the paint screen over the 5 gallon bucket when I do water changes. More than once I have found fry or snail babies mixed in with the mulm I suctioned out of the tank 

16450389263136678615820846614658.jpg.efe4b7eaa773a9bca1fc4a58726aa355.jpg

When I know fry are a possibility, this is my "receiving setup". Please excuse the plants in the paint strainer, they are from yesterday and I ran out of steam last night after PT...

Essentially, water comes through hose, into betta cup, that is inside a fry/breeder mesh box, which is on top of the paint strainer.

When I finish each tank, I look in the betta cup, and then the breeder box, collect any errant fry, and return them to their tank (or breeder box, if I can).

I used to use a sieve with a coffee strainer in it, but this is way easier on my back to just clamp the hose in place with the breeder box zip tie.

• Like 2