Oto disease? Injury?

Star Frances

10g planted tank with a peaceful Betta, a mystery snail, and four otos. I've had the Betta and the mystery snail for close to two months. I've had the otos for about a week and a half. One died early on in my first batch of three. Another died early on from my next batch of three. The remaining for have been doing well, they're active and eating and have nice fat bellies. This one oto has had a spot on his head since shortly after I got him. I had the quarantine trio of meds in the tank when I first got them. I have been doing daily 30% water changes and continued treating with Ich-X. About two days ago I also started adding in Maracyn. I thought the spot was looking better but today it looks worse to me. 

Temp is 80°. I raised it slightly from 78°. Parameters are in the first photo. 

PXL_20220215_160513378.jpg

PXL_20220215_160637867.jpg

PXL_20220215_151836124.jpg

Here are some photos of the spot progression, if that's helpful. These are going back in time to when I first got him. I should add, he is still  active and eating well.

PXL_20220214_151557192.jpg

PXL_20220213_233902058.jpg

PXL_20220211_231244293.jpg

Hi @Star Frances. Welcome to the forum. Others may look at the pictures and offer different advice but this is my take. Do what you feel is best from advice as only YOU can see what your fish and tank are doing. From what I can tell of the pictures it appears to be an injury/skin abrasion. Is the look of the area fuzzy at all? If it is that would indicate a fungal infection (which needs medication in a QT if possible). If it's just an abrasion from something in the tank or the fish store tank it will take time to heal. What the concern is when fish get injured are fungal and bacterial infections. If it's not fuzzy keep a very keen eye on it as you have been- when he's up against the glass make sure you see nothing like redness or other white spots on the body and keep an eye on the other Otos and fish. Raising the temperature is good for your Betta as they prefer 80-82 and it is important for their longevity but it will encourage bacteria to grow. What I would say if I were in your shoes is I would add a Catappa leaf or leaf tea to your tank- not only is it good for your Betta it's great for your inhabitants and is naturally anti-bacterial. I would also check your tank for anything too close to the glass that Otos could wedge their way between- IME they do this all the time- trying to squeeze in where they shouldn't. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
Typos are lame
  • Like 1

I would also encourage you if you haven't already to try and tempt the Otos  with commercial foods. Otos make short work of algae in newer tanks. It's not uncommon to lose some or all of your Otos within a month or 2 time span, sometimes it is due to lack of food. 

I see you have veggie in there, that's good as well. 

• Like 1

On 2/15/2022 at 11:55 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

I would also encourage you if you haven't already to try and tempt the Otos  with commercial foods. Otos make short work of algae in newer tanks. It's not uncommon to lose some or all of your Otos within a month or 2 time span, sometimes it is due to lack of food. 

I see you have veggie in there, that's good as well. 

I put repashy in there on the rocks, as well as zucchini slices. I let the algae go crazy in there before bringing them.home, so I think they've been busy with that. Thank you for your thoughtful replies and the nice welcome. 

• Like 1