Nitrite spike?

DamnKid

On 2/13/2022 at 6:35 PM, Patrick_G said:

The 0ppm color on my API keys looks more blue. Using my key I would read your tank water as 0ppm. 

I’m getting confused because the color of the solution in the 2nd picture(tap water) is light blue which is much closer to the 0ppm in the chart.

transmitting color via phone camera can be pretty fought.  and since the color code is printed pigment and not a control/standard with the same chemicals you could get something that looks different just because of light, camera, compression, and monitors.   That said it looks no worse than 0.25 so I'd just keep an eye on it, or if you really want to know do two tubes, one distilled or DI (or tap if you know there's no nitrites) and the other tank water.  Then comparison of 0 vs not zero is easy.

Also, if it does spike up I hear a little aquarium salt (doesn't take much) helps a lot with nitrite. 

On 2/13/2022 at 8:43 PM, DamnKid said:

@CT_ isn’t it bad for plants to add salt?

yeah.  it would be an emergency measure for sure.  I did it once because my nitrites were off the charts so short of a 100% water change I couldn't get them down fast enough otherwise.

I've definitely seen this before with my nitrite tests, it's like really subtly more purple-y than the reading for true zero. It's probably not enough to do damage at this stage, but worth monitoring and checking to see if there's anything going on in your tank that could be elevating nitrites

On 2/13/2022 at 8:59 PM, DamnKid said:

@CT_ Just in case. How much salt is needed?

I forget.  I didn't add a lot when I did do it but checking on line the standard 1tablespoon/gallon is what i see now.

EDIT: I found a source with a somewhat plausible explanation. 

Nitrite reaches a toxic level at about 0.1 ppm, which would require about 3 ppm of chloride ions. Depending on the salt (sodium chloride) used, it might translate to about 5 ppm (given that common salt has a chloride concentration of 60%) to ease possible nitrite poisoning. This in mind, one teaspoon of salt would be sufficient to provide this effect for a 300 Gallon tank.

https://www.algone.com/using-salt-in-the-freshwater-aquarium

I think I used about a teaspoon in 10 gallons, which is enough for 3ppm nitrite if the above is right.  it also didn't hurt any of the water sрrite.

Edited by CT_
  • Thanks 1

On 2/13/2022 at 8:59 PM, DamnKid said:

@CT_ Just in case. How much salt is needed?

You hardly need any salt to detoxify nitrite. 1/2 tablespoon per 20 gallons raises the toxicity of long-term exposure to almost 4 ppm NO2-N.

I wouldn't worry about your test too much. It's normal for trace amounts to show up once in a while. As long as it doesn't keep getting higher.

Edited by modified lung
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/14/2022 at 1:41 AM, modified lung said:

You hardly need any salt to detoxify nitrite. 1/2 tablespoon per 20 gallons raises the toxicity of long-term exposure to almost 4 ppm NO2-N.

I wouldn't worry about your test too much. It's normal for trace amounts to show up once in a while. As long as it doesn't keep getting higher.

Ok thanks. I’ll just keep checking it for now to see if it wouldn’t go higher.