Fertilizer comparison?

JoeQ

On 2/9/2022 at 2:09 PM, JoeQ said:

Until I get the 'it doesn't violate the TOS' from a mod, ill post my initial conserns. EZ Green is 2.66% nitrogen, this other brand is 10% nitrogen, in a fertilizer is this a huge difference? 

Hi @JoeQ

Yes, the second one has 4 times (approximately) the amount of nitrogen but what is the source of the nitrogen.  Is it potassium nitrate (KNO3) or is it ammonium based?

I am not a huge fan of "All-In-One" fertilizers.  I get that they are easy to use however one assumes all tanks are alike, water sources are alike, and all plant species have the same nutrient needs - none of which is true.  And, if you dose to achieve a target nitrate level of say 20 ppm you could easily be over or under dosing other nutrients. 

Unfortunately many ferts do not list the chemicals that make up the solution so there is no way of knowing type of iron chelate if being used which can be critical since some chelates are ineffective when the pH is higher than 7.0.  Also some include secondary nutrients calcium and magnesium and some do not.  Why, because some folks already have hard water and some folks live in areas with very soft water.  -Roy

• Thanks 1

On 2/9/2022 at 8:07 PM, Seattle_Aquarist said:

Hi @JoeQ

Yes, the second one has 4 times (approximately) the amount of nitrogen but what is the source of the nitrogen.  Is it potassium nitrate (KNO3) or is it ammonium based?

I am not a huge fan of "All-In-One" fertilizers.  I get that they are easy to use however one assumes all tanks are alike, water sources are alike, and all plant species have the same nutrient needs - none of which is true.  And, if you dose to achieve a target nitrate level of say 20 ppm you could easily be over or under dosing other nutrients. 

Unfortunately many ferts do not list the chemicals that make up the solution so there is no way of knowing type of iron chelate if being used which can be critical since some chelates are ineffective when the pH is higher than 7.0.  Also some include secondary nutrients calcium and magnesium and some do not.  Why, because some folks already have hard water and some folks live in areas with very soft water.  -Roy

The bottle does not say the source of the nitrogen, or potassium which is (14%). I'll most likely try 1 ml (with my python ready to go) and then test my water, my anglefish is a great nitrate gage cause at about 25ppm he starts to rub and scratch so i try to keep my nitrates around 10ppm~15ppm. This is actually my first year at using liquid fertilizers, so im a bit uneasy about over dosing my life stock. They aren't incredibly valuable, just trying to be a good stewart to life im responsible for. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1