GSA, lighting, and anubias

I've had my 38 gallon bowfront running for years, after my previous "wet pet" passed away I decided to get some new fish and wanted to get into growing plants. I changed substrate from river pebbles to sand, added some mopani wood, and placed a pothos in the tank. The current stock in the tank are 1 blue acara and a bristlenose pleco . I have 5 plants, I started with anubias barteri then added anubias coffeefolia, nangi, gold coin, and nana petite. I have had tons of brown diatoms for months so I did research and seen that they need silicates to live and that a phosphate remover would help removing silicates. I wiped the diatoms off the leaves, did a water change and put PhosBond in the filter. Now that i havent seen much diatoms I have noticed green spot algae on almost every plant. I researched GSA and seen that low phosphates and high lighting is what it thrives in, so I removed the PhosBond. I have a 24" Fluval Aquasky led light that i have had running at white 100%, red 70%, green 70%, and blue 10% for 10 hours a day. Ive been lowering the light intensity slowy, and started dosing easy green, I have used easy green but not every week. Ive seen nerite snails will eat the algae but i have soft water. I dont want the algae to smother out my plants and  If anyone has any recommendations on how to get rid of this algae I would appreciate it very much. 

20220205_125722.jpg

I think light is your culprit here. 10 hours at that intensity is quite a bit in a tank with nothing shading the Anubias. I run 7-8 hours in my tanks and still get GSA on my anubias. Other folks have recommended more shade and increasing the flow across the plants. I think it’s slowly working. 

You could try crypt wendtii green or red, both of which will grow tall and shade your anubius. Also dwarf sag can grow to the top and give some shade. I had a couple anubius get gsa so I moved them to the back out of direct light which cleared it up.

• Thanks 1

On 2/5/2022 at 1:56 PM, Horde4life91 said:

I have purchased a powerhead to help with flow, but what would be a good way to shade the anubias? I am gradually lowering light intensity and shortening the time the light is on. I could look into floating plants. 

I’d go directly to 50% intensity with no blue light and 8 hours. Some Amazon swords would look good and provide shade. 

• Thanks 1