Aquasoil in a mesh bag

I was watching MD Fish tanks and I saw him do something that I didn't understand. 

He had aquasoil in a mesh bag.   When building a tank, he places it in the center and then puts the substrate on top.  The mesh bag was so he can reuse it when he tears down the tank.

But what i didn't get was there were no rooted plants near the placement of this bag. In fact, they were all in the back. 

I'm new to this.  I don't quite understand fertilizers and such.  What does aquasoil do if you're not planting into it? Does it release nutrients into the substrate? 

On 2/4/2022 at 9:46 AM, Gideyon said:

I was watching MD Fish tanks and I saw him do something that I didn't understand. 

He had aquasoil in a mesh bag.   When building a tank, he places it in the center and then puts the substrate on top.  The mesh bag was so he can reuse it when he tears down the tank.

But what i didn't get was there were no rooted plants near the placement of this bag. In fact, they were all in the back. 

I'm new to this.  I don't quite understand fertilizers and such.  What does aquasoil do if you're not planting into it? Does it release nutrients into the substrate? 

I wondered the same thing. ADA looks like little round pellets. Plus ADA is super expensive.  ADA is very high in everything nutrients. Also. It can make you have ammonia spikes. I'm not sure it fertilizes the water column. I personally chose to follow MD fish tanks guide to a dirtted tank, but chose organic potting soil rather than ADA or "aquasoil"  4 tanks, all dirtted different.  

• Like 1