Adding to established substrate

So I wanted to add to my established substrate. I don’t want to remove the existing which is a combination of gravel and eco complete I just want to add a small layer of sand over the top. My question is this: Is this something that’s feasible or just not worth the stress on the tank? It’s currently occupied but two Otocinclus a Betta and three soon to be six blue spotted corydoras. Any help is appreciated!

I’m not fond of sand and the sand may hinder your plants that are already there. However the best method I seen mentioned on here ( I think it was @Torrey idea) is putting the sand in a cake decorating bag or a baggie and cut the tip. Then apply like icing on a cake. It seems to be the least disruptive most controlled method. 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1

I added crushed coral by takig a plastic tube and using it like a funnel and I was able to accurately lay the coral exactly where I wanted it. I had an old 24"siphon tube that I'd disassembled and just used the tube.  So many people on here hate sand but yet you see people like LRB Lucas Bretts and he straight kills it with nothing but sand. I personally tried using just sand and it wasnt working, I fought it for a year and couldnt get anything to really grow very well so I switched over to Stratum and everything changed. My 12year old son wanted the sand in his tank so I took the sand straight from mine and added about a 2" layer to his and I"ll be damned his tank took off!! I have what we call a high tech tank with high light and co2 but his is just a hygger light with sand and no ferts at all and his tank is booming wih life.  I dont understand it.  But remember when I was trying to use it I had just sand you have eco complete under it. If I was you I"d go for it. I personally thing that white sand with a black background is FIREEEEE

• Like 1