Quarantining

MyFish

4370649F-DFAC-44AA-99BF-ED7C822F0121.jpeg.ace28bbfb51f5c7b40d9b1d9a48864ed.jpegQuarantine or not?

i’m starting my 55gallon it’s cycled with plants. No fish present one snail in tank. Question is, Should I quarantine my fish before I place it in my 55?  I have no fish in there, but one 🐌 snail.  Is it safe to assume that I can just throw the fish in there and watch them in the 55. The only problem I see with this is if there is a problem disease then I have to treat 55gal water. My wife says I already spent too much money on my fish hobby and she’s not authorizing a purchase for a 10 gallon, lol

Edited by MyFish
Pic attached

As there is no existing tank population to protect the first fish you can add straight to the tank without quarantining however if you plan on doing a medicated quarantine it might be worth considering as medicating a 55 will use a lot more product than a 5 or 10.

I don't medicate new fish but many people do so I thought I'd add this point to consider. I keep a plastic tote under my fish tank to help sort out plants and damp items when I'm maintaining it so it becomes hospital,quarantine or time out tank when needed I just throw in a cheap filter or air line depending on how long it's going to be in use. 

• Like 1