Madagascar Rainbowfish Breeding

Vanish

I need to hatch eggs the separately. It is impossible to know how many have hatched otherwise. I can say it is not 80 for certain. I think I lost most of them to fungus. Gary Lange said you only need to methylene blue them the first night, but I think I am going to do what I've done with the angels on the next mop pull, and reduce meth blue over the course over several days.

I'd really like to build another fry box or two. Anybody got a spare hour? 😄

Pulled 42 eggs from the mop. Let's see if I do any better this time. Going with the meth blue method, but not just overnight. Will do partial water changes while they hatch ( cause they are all various ages, including some that look imminent )

• Like 1

Six Nine more fry this morning. I am considering moving the largest fry out of the fry box and into their own 10g as they are more than twice as long as the new fry.

Edited by Vanish
  • Like 3

Four more fry hatched this morning. That wrapped up the recent mop pull.

I transferred 7 fry at 5/8 inch to their own 10g growout as I was worried about predation. Hopefully they can still find the food.

I think I am going to pull this last mop and move the parents back to display.

20220301_175555.jpg.df468ea5a7b8a2bd33a1610766b72a69.jpg

Edited by Vanish
  • Like 1

I have 24 eggs hatching, 20+ fry in the tray and 7 in the 10g, so yesterday I moved these back to the display tank. I can always pull them into the breeding tank again. Considering I pulled 80+ eggs one time from the mop, it seems I have a lot to learn on how to hatch these more effectively.

I'll continue to document their growth.

20220304_145046.jpg.e2b09df948fdaa55dba6072bf98cf0eb.jpg

Edited by Vanish

• 2 weeks later...