MTS Sufferer from Kamloops B.C.

Greetings from Kamloops B.C. MTS sufferer here with 10 tanks totalling 180g.

Tanks include a 35g full of fancy male guppies, a 20g tetra glo fish tank with glo tetras, blue and red tetras, otocinclus, a female plakat betta and albino corydoras. A 55g with angels, dennison barbs, rummynose tetra, yoyo loaches, dwarf neon rainbows and a breeding colony of hillstream loaches. A 30g with 14 female Thai bettas just obtained as an established sorority.  Three 10g with fancy guppy breeding projects. A 10g with 2 fancy goldfish that will be moving up as they grow. A 2.5g with golden shrimp and a 2.5g with a crown tail betta named Sampson.

20201005_194910.jpg

20191228_135844.jpg

Edited by bcflowerlady
Mentioned pets other than fish
  • Like 4

Hello from Vancouver (and a fellow newbie to the forum)! Nice to see a fellow BCer on here! 

Curious to hear about your experience with Hillstream loaches and if I could keep just one, or maybe a group of three? I've read/seen various opinions, I suppose I'm just looking for one more. They seem incredibly cute and I'd love to have a couple in my 12g community tank. I'm still brand new to this and trying to learn as much as I can. 

Thanks!

Good morning. My Hillstream loaches live in a tank(s) that are around 22-25C (72-77F) They adore rocks or something that resembles rocks. Rachel O'Leary has a thriving breeding colony in a tank full of flattened clay tubes. I have watched videos Cory has done where he has them in tanks that are planted without rocks, commenting Hillstreams are very adaptable and will live in many environments. They do require great water quality, so make sure you keep up on your water changes.

12 hours ago, tmackenzie said:

... experience with Hillstream loaches.

Hi 

I answered your question without quoting so don't know if you will get notification. My Hillstreams interact with each other all the time, so I would get three instead of one. Females have a squarish abdomen while males are more triangular. Try to get 2 females and 1 male. Maybe they will breed for you.

Edited by bcflowerlady
Fixing typo

On 10/11/2020 at 11:07 AM, bcflowerlady said:

Hi 

I answered your question without quoting so don't know if you will get notification. My Hillstreams interact with each other all the time, so I would get three instead of one. Females have a squarish abdomen while males are more triangular. Try to get 2 females and 1 male. Maybe they will breed for you.

Thanks! Went to a lfs yesterday and scoped them out- they are incredibly cute! Going to get the right set up and then pick up a few. Thanks for all the info!