Lemon Bristlenose breeding question/experiment

DebD

I've heard lemon longfin bn tend to run genetically weak or are fragile. In my experience, I've had some issues with them. Presently I have 1 longfin male, 2 longfin female & 3 shortfin females all ready to breed.  

I was thinking of trying to create a stronger line by longfin breeding with the short fin. I've been thinking of this project for awhile; to make a stronger longfin line, as I love them., rather just to pump out fry.

I space out breeding to let my boys recover. I keep the females in their own tanks to control the amount of breeding. They are from 3 separate sources.

I'm looking for options on how to go about this. This will be this male's 1st breed and I'm trying to decide on whether to start with a shortfin gal (that are several months older and larger than the male) or with the more petite female (1 is about the same size as he is)

I know I need another male but odd are what they are. 😉

Raphael and his harem 🥰

20211219_132616.jpg

20211222_182736.jpg

20211228_172333.jpg

20220125_195712.jpg

Edited by DebD

In regards to another male later, you can cross your boy to all your girls and later get a male from another breeder with a strong, healthy line that has a look you like to cross all his daughters too. 

After that, you could cross your best original male's son to the best daughters of the new male.

Just keep crossing back and only using animals you like the look of that are healthy.

Will

On 1/25/2022 at 8:00 PM, WillC said:

In regards to another male later, you can cross your boy to all your girls and later get a male from another breeder with a strong, healthy line that has a look you like to cross all his daughters too. 

After that, you could cross your best original male's son to the best daughters of the new male.

Just keep crossing back and only using animals you like the look of that are healthy.

Will

Yeah finding another male is difficult part. I've grown these all out from an inch (which explains my luck w/1 male). I may have to start with the best of the half siblings.. lf/sf offspring x lf/lf.. 

Of course selling the rest could pay the price for a breeding male shipped etc etc ...eventually 

• Like 1

2 of 3 of my shortfin are a bit bigger than my boy ATM compared to the longfin. I'm thinking I should start him out with a big girl in case he gets a little overzealous. 😜 

These sf girls were ready 4 months ago too....

Edited by DebD