Water Flow for Gobies

NoobNerd

Would having a HOB filter plus 2 bubble/sponge filters create enough water flow in a 29 gallon tank to keep fresh water gobies happy? HOB filter is a 35 gallon Seachem, running full-tilt, and is located on the back and the two bubble/sponge filters are Aquarium Co-Op Nanos located about 3 inches from the side (one on each side) and close to the front of the tank.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2022 at 8:16 PM, NoobNerd said:

Would having a HOB filter plus 2 bubble/sponge filters create enough water flow in a 29 gallon tank to keep fresh water gobies happy? HOB filter is a 35 gallon Seachem, running full-tilt, and is located on the back and the two bubble/sponge filters are Aquarium Co-Op Nanos located about 3 inches from the side (one on each side) and close to the front of the tank.

I'm not sure how similar the preferences for flow are to U. S. Native Darters, but like Gobies, they do not have a developed swim bladder. I keep my Rainbow Darters in a 29 gal with Rainbow Shiners. Like you describe, I use a small sponger filter on one back corner for uplift, and a HOB on the other side for flow. I also have a mini pond pump suctioned to the side, gently pushing water from left to right. Here's a look at that set up...

Now, here's another 20-gal tank with a powerhead added. I've got two sponge filters in the back, and an added powerhead...

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

On 1/22/2022 at 8:30 PM, Fish Folk said:

I'm not sure how similar the preferences for flow are to U. S. Native Darters, but like Gobies, they do not have a developed swim bladder. I keep my Rainbow Darters in a 29 gal with Rainbow Shiners. Like you describe, I use a small sponger filter ron one back corner for uplift, and a HOB on the other side for flow. I also have a mini pond pump suctioned to the side, gently pushing water from left to right. Here's a look at that set up...

Now, here's another 20-gal tank with a powerhead added. I've got two sponge filters in the back, and an added powerhead...

Wow, really nice tank and fish! I'm guessing I may need to grab one of those powerheads... Thanks for the videos and tips!

• Thanks 1