What fish will eat my Platy fry?

Rachel C

I have come to the conclusion that natural selection must happen in my tank. I have a 20 gal with 4 Platy and 1 African dwarf frog, and the females have 15-50 babies a month. I was able to donate a lot of them in the past, but I don’t know who to donate to anymore.  My LFS isn’t accepting any right now and I had to get a small tank just to keep them in because my 20 gal was seriously overcrowded. 

I want a larger fish that will eat the fry. The platys do a good job of eating them, but I got Java moss for my froggy, so they all survive now.  Is there a larger fish that will without a doubt eat the fry - one that gets along with Platy and African dwarf frog and can be in a 20 gal tank? I’ve thought about upgrading tanks to get some bigger fish, but I don’t have the money right now to spend on one. 

All comments are appreciated!

• Like 1

It seems to me the easiest solution might just to net them from the tank and cull them yourself. Any fish will generally eat the fry at that size but again, unless you want to add another fish to this tank I wouldn't add one for just this purpose.

It might be easier to remove either the males or the females to a separate tank to stop the problem at its source... I'm currently in a similar predicament and I'm setting up a second tank for my 3 adult females to have their last fry once this batch of 17 babies are mature.

It's also fueling my MTS 🤣

If that's not an option though, I've heard good things about female betta fish. I'm going to be putting one in my new tank for... housekeeping reasons.

Edited by Nyssa
added to post
  • Like 1