Pleco Advice?

I got a common Pleco about a month ago for my 20 gallon tank, and later as he grows he’ll be moved to my 125 gallon. I’ll be keeping ropefish and potentially bichirs in my 125 gallon, so I want to wait and be sure that it’s safe to add my Pleco. At about what size should be be moved to the 125? How long can I expect it for him to reach that size? I haven’t really seen any growth in the month that I’ve had him.

another question: can multiple common plecos live together in your experience? I’ve read a lot of conflicting information, some sources stating that they can, others stating that they can’t. 

Complementary picture of my Pleco, still haven’t settled on a name for him.

ED9AEB98-D3E9-4C59-A251-3381A7030D53.jpeg

On 12/29/2021 at 11:19 PM, TryingToKeepMyPlantsRooted said:

I got a common Pleco about a month ago for my 20 gallon tank, and later as he grows he’ll be moved to my 125 gallon. I’ll be keeping ropefish and potentially bichirs in my 125 gallon, so I want to wait and be sure that it’s safe to add my Pleco. At about what size should be be moved to the 125? How long can I expect it for him to reach that size? I haven’t really seen any growth in the month that I’ve had him.

another question: can multiple common plecos live together in your experience? I’ve read a lot of conflicting information, some sources stating that they can, others stating that they can’t. 

Complementary picture of my Pleco, still haven’t settled on a name for him.

ED9AEB98-D3E9-4C59-A251-3381A7030D53.jpeg

I agree with @gardenman he looks like an albino bristlenose pleco. They should get to around the 6 inch mark at most. You can keep several bristlenose together. According to what I've heard, they each will require their own little caves or wood that they can claim as their territory, but they should be fine.

And in terms of numbers, two or three might bicker a bit, but more plecos tends to lead to less stress. I have six adults and God only knows how many babies in one tank. About twenty in each of my other tanks and no bickering or issues at all. If you just have two, or three there might be more dominance issues to sort out. A more crowded tank tends to minimize that. (Much as with African cichlids. The more you crowd in the less fighting you get.)

On 12/30/2021 at 8:12 AM, gardenman said:

That doesn't look like a common pleco to me. It looks more like an albino bristlenose pleco. If it is an albino bristlenose pleco they top out at about six inches or so and it takes them two to three years to reach that size.

I think she totally is! Thank you!! I got her from an aquarium store that had her labeled as a common pleco, but looking closer I definitely think this is a female bristlenose. I even noticed tiny bristles on her face. I guess that settles her name, since I wanted a bristlenose named Cthulhu haha.

13AD83B3-51FC-42D5-828C-844BA8B26611.jpeg

• Like 1