Anyone else's new tanks get stuck in nitrite phase?

Lexi B

I'm not sure what it is, but whenever I start cycling a new tank, it develops ammonia eating bacteria practically overnight but is stuck in nitrite for at least a week after. Thankfully my other established tanks are seeding a new sponge filter that should clear this up pretty quickly. 

I just think it's a little odd that nitrite always gives me trouble, no matter the size of tank I'm working on. 

(Don't worry, this is fishless cycling) 

PXL_20211220_204005320.jpg

I had something similar happen recently with a new tank.  Struggled with Nitirite for a few days and then I squeezed a dirty filter sponge from an established tank into the new tank near the new sponge filter.  It was kinda gross not gonna lie, but the debris settled fast, and by the next morning I had no more nitrites, and haven't had any issues since.

On 12/20/2021 at 12:56 PM, KaitieG said:

I had something similar happen recently with a new tank.  Struggled with Nitirite for a few days and then I squeezed a dirty filter sponge from an established tank into the new tank near the new sponge filter.  It was kinda gross not gonna lie, but the debris settled fast, and by the next morning I had no more nitrites, and haven't had any issues since.

Oh I've never thought to do this! My other tanks are coming up on their filter cleaning, maybe I should put some of that icky into this one

It never crossed my mind either until I saw a video by Prime Time Aquatics where they mentioned doing it--I think it was "How to Instant Cycle a Tank" or something similar.  I sqeezed out one of the sponges and then left it sit next to the sponge filter for a day or so.  I've only done it once but it worked really well that one time.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2021 at 1:15 PM, KaitieG said:

It never crossed my mind either until I saw a video by Prime Time Aquatics where they mentioned doing it--I think it was "How to Instant Cycle a Tank" or something similar.  I sqeezed out one of the sponges and then left it sit next to the sponge filter for a day or so.  I've only done it once but it worked really well that one time.

When I had a larger tank, I always just had a second filter seeding for when I planned to set up another tank. But since now I only have Bettas, it's not as ideal to have an extra sponge in there for months.

Ill give that a shot and see what happens