Breeding setup Journal.. Rate my tank and Critique it and tell me how to fix it :)

Taco Playz

So my tank that’s eventually going to be a breeding setup recently got setup and I’m fairly happy with it. I still think it’s missing a few things. Please comment give suggestions on fish. It’s a ten gallon and I was thinking about just a pair of GBR but I didn’t know how that would do in a ten gallon. Comment if you think that would work out. Thanks 

9ED76FEB-1B08-4A2E-AF8E-CD434A692844.jpeg

Yes I will be taking the two blue pieces of gravel out because they are really annoying me. 😂

Also I lowered the ph to about 7.0 now so that’s good. 

Looks good! Like your usage of leaves--gives off "river bottom" vibes.

If you're thinking about breeding GBR I recommend lowering the water a smidgen more, to about 6.5 pH, you'll also want to have a flat rock for the female to lay the eggs on (they're not so intrigued by "spawning mops" like Goldfish and some others are)

GBR are fine but I notice they tend to have lots of health issues, sickly, prone to ick, etc.... (prior LFS employee here, worked at a store not too far from Co-Op)

If you want to intermingle with GBR you should do small schooling fish, like smaller tetras that are quick (thinks neons, Glowlight). Try to avoid any fin nippers like Serpae tetras, Black Skirt, etc...

You want small fish that will avoid the rams for it to work out for the better, but you have a decently planted tank already! I think you'll be good. 

• Love 1

On 12/18/2021 at 9:13 PM, Hyliasdemon said:

Looks good! Like your usage of leaves--gives off "river bottom" vibes.

If you're thinking about breeding GBR I recommend lowering the water a smidgen more, to about 6.5 pH, you'll also want to have a flat rock for the female to lay the eggs on (they're not so intrigued by "spawning mops" like Goldfish and some others are)

GBR are fine but I notice they tend to have lots of health issues, sickly, prone to ick, etc.... (prior LFS employee here, worked at a store not too far from Co-Op)

If you want to intermingle with GBR you should do small schooling fish, like smaller tetras that are quick (thinks neons, Glowlight). Try to avoid any fin nippers like Serpae tetras, Black Skirt, etc...

You want small fish that will avoid the rams for it to work out for the better, but you have a decently planted tank already! I think you'll be good. 

Thanks so much for the tips! I’ll try to find a flat rock because my LFS has a good selection. I might wait until the ph gets lowered for them too.

Have a good day!