New Fish Quarantine Tank with Medication Trio

dmurray407

I want to make sure I do this right 🙂 Hopefully on Saturday I'll be getting a few new fish (finally!). I have a 10 gallon quarantine tank (a plastic tub with a sponge filter and heater) all set up and I have my medication trio meds ready to go. So, here's the plan: I bring the new fish home on Saturday, slowly acclimate them to the quarantine tank water using a drip thingy then net them and put them into the quarantine tank. I'm going to give them a day to get acclimated (can I give them a little food at this point?) Then on Monday AM, I'll put the meds in-5 ml Ich-X, 1 tab Maracyn and 1 tab Paraclense. I let them "marinate" (as Cory says in his video) in this mix for 7 days. I can feed them a tiny bit on day 3 or 4.  On day 7, I do a 30% water change. They stay in the quarantine tank and then after 3 weeks, I redose with Paraclense (1 tab) again. Then, finally after 4 weeks, I can introduce them into one of my other tanks (I haven't decided which one yet) . I'm hoping to get some Platies and some Pygmy Corydoras. Questions: My quarantine tub has been running for a couple of months, but is not really cycled since it's just a bare tub of water. Can I add Stability daily to keep the water parameters in a good range after I add the new fish? I could put a sponge filter from another tank in there, but hate to take it from where it's at.  My other question is, my main tank (60 gal) has never really been treated. A few years (maybe 4?) ago I had Ich in it but other than treating that I haven't put any meds in it for anything. Technically, should I treat that tank before putting new fish in there? Would you do it? Everything seems very healthy.  There are just a few fish in it and they are all at least 4-5 years old-2 rainbowfish, a plecostomous, 4 tetras and 2 rasboras. I also have 3 Nerite snails in there. Next time, I will have a seasoned sponge filter to put in the quarantine tank-I should have done it but just didn't. If it's really important, I can swap out the one from my other tank (10 gal, cycled but fishless-there's also a good canister filter in that tank as well so it should be OK without the sponge filter. The water tests out perfectly every time I check and I give the bacteria a little pinch of fish food daily). Thank you for reading this if you made it this far-any suggestions are very appreciated. (Do I sound paranoid? The last new fish I got created the Ich outbreak...)

I would use prime instead of stability to counter any ammonia or nitrite caused by meds interrupting cycle. I would feed them for a few days to get their strength and reserves built back up to fight whatever may ail them. Medication is stressful to them as well. I would do a large water change before medication. As hobbiest we can take our time with things to make it less stressful on the fish. This is just my opinion everyone does things their way that they have found success with. Good luck looking forward to pictures of your new fish friends 

• Like 2

If I'm understanding part of your concern regarding your 60 gallon tank, I wouldn't worry about any existing illness in it affecting your quarantine tank. If it's been that long and the fish have been healthy it should all be good. Okay, so as I type this I think of other possible issues that could occur, old tank syndrome, blah blah blah. Here's the thing, I catch myself worrying and overanalyzing everything about my fish and tank too often. Actually, it's part of the fun and appeals to my tinkering nature. BUT, it's not good. My advice to myself more than you, just kick back, watch and wait. Don't overreact and know you have a great plan. It will be fine. If not, blame @Guppysnail

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/1/2021 at 5:09 PM, Guppysnail said:

I would do a large water change before medication

There have never been any fish in the water with the sponge filter and heater running-do I still need to change it out?

On 12/1/2021 at 5:25 PM, Chad said:

regarding your 60 gallon tank, I wouldn't worry about any existing illness

Thank you! I tend to over think things...... 

On 12/1/2021 at 6:25 PM, Chad said:

If I'm understanding part of your concern regarding your 60 gallon tank, I wouldn't worry about any existing illness in it affecting your quarantine tank. If it's been that long and the fish have been healthy it should all be good. Okay, so as I type this I think of other possible issues that could occur, old tank syndrome, blah blah blah. Here's the thing, I catch myself worrying and overanalyzing everything about my fish and tank too often. Actually, it's part of the fun and appeals to my tinkering nature. BUT, it's not good. My advice to myself more than you, just kick back, watch and wait. Don't overreact and know you have a great plan. It will be fine. If not, blame @Guppysnail

Hey now..🤣. I’ve got broad shoulders I can handle it. Half reason I quarantine is there are tons of things in aquariums. Strong healthy fish shake them off as nature designed them to. Otherwise all wild fish would be sick. So resting them feeding them up and strengthening them is good for them to fight off whatever may be in our tank as well as to observe them to be sure they have not succumbed to anything prior to introducing to our tanks. I agree with @ChadTake your time relax and don’t stress too much. It’s a hobby to be enjoyed even though there are not so pleasant parts. 

On 12/1/2021 at 6:29 PM, dmurray407 said:

There have never been any fish in the water with the sponge filter and heater running-do I still need to change it out?

If you feed for a few days check nitrates. I’m a water changer and always go with fresh water to err on the side of caution 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1