Starting a Maracyn 2 treatment

NickG83

Hi, I’m about to start a course of Maracyn 2, for my goldfish that has cloudy, slightly protruding eyes, but I’ve been treating with salt prior to this (which hasn’t really helped). I’ve been diluting the salt content down over the last 2/3 weeks by doing 50% water changes. I have a 40gallon tank and if my calculations are correct, I should be down to 2 tablespoons of salt being left in the tank. Is this ok to add the maracyn 2 to, or should I do another couple of 50% water changes before treating? Thanks in advance 

Thank you @HH Morant I’ve just had a look at adding the meds to food, it said I can use rapashy. I have rapashy available, I assume I don’t need to add extra food to the mixture if I’m using the rapashy as the gelatine source? So I would just basically add I small amount of the medication to the rapashy and mix it up as usual? 

@HH Morant also would I feed this mixture for the 5 days? Or maybe just keep feeding until the fish looks better? Im assuming this method required using a lot less of the medication, which I assume is because the fish is getting it directly? Also is there any chance I could accidentally overdose the fish? It’s a 6/7 inch goldfish I’m treating. Do you think a quarter of a packet a day mixed in with rapashy sounds about the right dose? Thanks again for your help.  

You are correct that less medication is needed because the fish is getting it directly, not diluted in the water.

You should feed the medicated food for five days and then reevaluate. I don't have the directions for Maracyn 2 handy, but it probably allows for a second round of treatment.

I am not sure about the dosage. It does not have to be precise. That is a pretty big fish, so I think 1/4 packet sounds okay.

Good luck!

• Thanks 1