Betta tank

meadeam

I've never had a betta.  I plan to get one soon though, and I will have a spare 5.5 and 10 to choose from.  I'd like to use the 5.5 for my future betta and save the 10 for another few nano fish.  I know people keep bettas in ridiculously small tanks, but 5.5 should be adequate, shouldn't it?  Or would I be remiss in not opting for the 10 since it is available?

5.5 is a suitable tank size for bettas. But bettas are a nice hardy fish, so if you wanted to, you could set it up in a 10g and decide if you want to keep nano fish. You should have no problem moving them out of the 10 into the 5.5. 

• Like 1

On 11/29/2021 at 12:39 PM, Taco Playz said:

In my opinion 3.5 gallons are the bare minimum but 5.5 is a good size for bettas. 

I really like the footprint and aspect ratio of those 3 and 3.5 gallon long tanks.  I'm not going to buy one, but if I had one already, I think that would work.  I like the extra couple gallons of volume.

On 11/29/2021 at 12:40 PM, Keeg said:

5.5 is a suitable tank size for bettas. But bettas are a nice hardy fish, so if you wanted to, you could set it up in a 10g and decide if you want to keep nano fish. You should have no problem moving them out of the 10 into the 5.5. 

This may be the way.  It just occured to me that I have a clown pleco in the 10 right now (I forget about him because he spends 95% of his time inside a hollow piece fo driftwood) so after I move the mollies into their new tank, the pleco could stay put and get a betta tankmate.

Edited by meadeam
  • Like 2

On 11/29/2021 at 1:05 PM, meadeam said:

I really like the footprint and aspect ratio of those 3 and 3.5 gallon long tanks.  I'm not going to buy one, but if I had one already, I think that would work.  I like the extra 1.5g of volume.

This may be the way.  It just occured to me that I have a clown pleco in the 10 right now (I forget about him because he spends 95% of his time inside a hollow piece fo driftwood) so after I move the mollies into their new tank, the pleco could stay put and get a betta tankmate.

I think 3 gallon long tanks are good tanks for bettas.