Can you confirm I was sold 2 female honey gourami please?

Karen B.

On 11/28/2021 at 2:09 PM, Gator said:

@Karen B.; It looks to me that you have three males. The way to tell the difference is by looking at the dorsal (Top) fin, if it comes to a point at the end, it's a male, it it's rounded, it's a female. Nice looking specimens and great looking plants.

😭

Not a very good news for me. 3 males in a 20 gallons, that won’t end very well…

@Karen B.; Relax, they're not Bettas' they're not going to fight. They'll set up their territory and chase each other away from it, but they're not going to fight.

Now that you know how to tell the difference between a male and a female, you can go back to your LFS and pick out a female and hopefully whoever is working will be able to catch the right fish for you. 

I tend to agree with @Gator and @Dwayne Brown.  All males won't necessarily be a problem.  I haven't kept honey gouramis, but I have eight pearl gouramis in a 40 gallon tank.  As you probably know, it's difficult to sex them when they're young, but the folks that caught them for me did their best to get me a 3:1 F:M ratio.  However, I wound up with six males and only two females.  I didn't add them all at once, but the last one was added in January, so they're all fairly mature, and I haven't had any problems so far.

• Like 1