thoughts on ordering plants online?

-blake-

On 7/23/2022 at 2:49 PM, md363 said:

I just ordered some Bacopa Caroliniana from the CO-OP. 

One of my favorites, best of luck!

On 11/13/2021 at 1:49 PM, -blake- said:

whats are yalls opinion on buying plants online?

To be honest, I actually prefer to order plants online. It speaks to how terrible the local selections are for me.  If I was into corals, I'd have a lot of options, but I just don't have many decent plants available.  Plants in the big box store always look chewed up and dried out, too old and deteriorated to even sell.

Plants from the Co-op are typically very nice quality, they care, they are trying very hard to push the hobby in the right direction and I think that's a big reason for me to support them.  I have gotten plants from other places, been frustrated a few times.  Whenever I have had issues with anything from the Co-op they always go out of the way and make things right.  They WANT TO do it the right way and do the job well.  That's why I can without question say that I don't might buying plants and having them sent out to me.

Check water parameters, understand that some plants won't do well with a big shift in parameters and might melt into nothing.  It happens.  Even if you buy one locally, it can still happen!

• Like 1

Just an observation and something to think about before ordering online. I've had more success with plants ordered online, when shipping temps were in the low 70s as opposed to upper 80s ~ 90s. Monitor your local temperatures along with your sources temps. Submit your order to coincide with more ideal daily tempatures. 

• Like 1

On 7/24/2022 at 8:18 AM, JoeQ said:

Just an observation and something to think about before ordering online. I've had more success with plants ordered online, when shipping temps were in the low 70s as opposed to upper 80s ~ 90s. Monitor your local temperatures along with your sources temps. Submit your order to coincide with more ideal daily tempatures. 

Yeah, I find spring and fall to be ideal shipping times. Extreme heat and extreme cold makes things iffier.

Edited by gardenman
  • Like 1

On 7/24/2022 at 10:42 AM, gardenman said:

Yeah, I find spring and fall to be ideal shipping times. Extreme heat and extreme cold makes things iffier.

I haven't ordered in cold weather, usually by then my aquarium is exploding with growth and I have no room. I'm not sure if its the same for everyone or it's only me, but my aquarium is the opposite of the natural cycle. Summer equals the die back, winter is peak growing season.