FISH DEATH

Troy Vance32

Hey guys so I built a outdoor pond that had goldfish,perch,and minnows in it a few months back and just recently it had algae all over the place so I shaded it and put some algaefix in it and the next day my water was crystal clear but all the fish were floating on top the water any suggestions on what happened? (I think the algaefix killed good and bad bacteria) 

8B9FD0A0-02B3-4884-9230-C15DDED2900A.jpeg

• Sad 1

On 10/6/2021 at 9:15 PM, Colu said:

What could have happen is the algaefix caused levels of desolved oxygen in your pond  to drop causing your fish's   death's do you have a filter or air stone in your pond  

Yes I have a filter on it and I do have an air stone with an air pump. I was thinking it had something to do with the oxygen levels as well 

On 10/6/2021 at 9:15 PM, Colu said:

What could have happen is the algaefix caused levels of desolved oxygen in your pond  to drop causing your fish's   death's do you have a filter or air stone in your pond  

On 10/6/2021 at 9:22 PM, Colu said:

Theres another possibility form what I have read algaefix can kill fish if overdosed

Now that is probably the cause of it I may have put to much I wasn’t exactly sure how many gallons the pond was. Thank you so much! 

The dead and dying algae could have caused an ammonia spike also. Goldfish will seldom suffocate as they can gulp air directly in low oxygen water. When you kill algae it doesn't get teleported away. It dies and starts to decay in the water releasing ammonia. Kill a lot at once and you get an ammonia spike.

• Like 4

On 10/7/2021 at 6:26 AM, gardenman said:

The dead and dying algae could have caused an ammonia spike also. Goldfish will seldom suffocate as they can gulp air directly in low oxygen water. When you kill algae it doesn't get teleported away. It dies and starts to decay in the water releasing ammonia. Kill a lot at once and you get an ammonia spike.

Wow I didn’t even think about that thank you so much.