Ph and Cycling tank

calafish

I am 10 days out in cycling of my new tank and have used Dr. Tim's one and only along with Dr. Tim's ammonia. I have had brief tics up both nitrates nitrates and ammonia, so I believe the cycle has started and I was wondering how important is PH being 7.0 or higher in cycling a new tank. My pH has stuck around 6.4 all this time. I believe it may be due in part to the substrate Fluval Stratum that i used. From what I have read on other forums and on Dr. Tims website, that PH about 7.0 it is vital? Others have commented that fluval stratum has a tendency to keep PH a little lower? Do I need to add some baking soda, to get the PH more neutral? 

When the PH drops below around 6.5 ammonia starts to convert to the less toxic ammonium (this is down to ion exchange and not really important to know) which will slow down the cycling process. 

Depending on what fish you are looking at stocking wise this shouldn't be an issue, my betta tank has 11 glowlight tetra and 3 skunk Cory's in with him and is heavily planted, the PH is between 6 - 6.5 depending on the time of day. 

Your PH level will be lower as a result of the fluval stratum (can drop below 6 depending on the water you start with and size of tank). I use it in my tanks as I find it very good for growing plants with my tap water. If you are looking to raise your PH I would suggest maybe adding crushed coral to your filter or just in a media bag. The effects of the stratum lowering PH tend to lesson over time my 34g has settled at 7 - 7.5 after about 4 months. 

@Intuos Thanks so much for your answer. I am looking to stock Cardinal tetras, which apparently like a more acidic water, but i would like to get this tank cycled? Catch 22 i believe? How long would it take the crushed coral to lift the lift PH up? and when my tank is cycled can i take the crush coral out and would it got back to 6.4 etc..? is Baking soda a bad idea?

I would say that you would usually start to see the results after about a week. If you put the crushed coral in a media bag it can easily be removed. I'd recommend just adding a small amount to begin with if you really want to maintain a low PH. 

I have 12 cardinal tetra in my 34g and will usually be fine in a higher PH, I have kept them in water ranging from 6 - 7.5. Stability of your water parameters is more important. But if you did want to lower your PH again you can use peat filter media to do it. But long term I would suggest that you let your tank find its balance rather than manipulate the PH as it will be a lot harder to maintain. 

I have never used baking soda myself, so I don't know, but believe others on the forum have 

Pushing tank pH far away from your tap water pH is a bit of a comittment I think. It's very much a thing people do, just make sure you are willing before you decide ☺️. Especially if your KH is high. 

For the cycling, I don't think it's a big deal.