Lid Fail

ADMWNDSR83

When I first got my tank, it was a 37 gallon TopFin kit.  I was quite unhappy with the cover that comes with the tank, so I have a NICREW light on order, and I went to my local PetSuppliesPlus and bought the Aqueon VersaTop 30" glass lid, which clearly states it fits a 37 gallon tank.  Sadly when I got home,  the lid was about a quarter inch too long!  Any suggestions as to glass lids or other ideas that will work with the NICREW? 

That's odd, I'd have thought it was standard size. Is there something about the rim on that kit that is 1/4" thicker? TopFin also has hinged glass lids ... you'd think it would fit... but all else fails if you have a local glass shop they could cut it for you. I only had to do that on an old non-standard oceanic tank.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Bill said:

That's odd, I'd have thought it was standard size. Is there something about the rim on that kit that is 1/4" thicker? TopFin also has hinged glass lids ... you'd think it would fit... but all else fails if you have a local glass shop they could cut it for you. I only had to do that on an old non-standard oceanic tank.

Funny story: Apparently, TopFin 37s take 29.37 inch lids, not 30.  I got onto the PetSmart Website, since they deal in TopFin, and realized the two are not compatible.  Go figure.  MY mistake I guess, trying to mix the two brands.

22 hours ago, ADMWNDSR83 said:

When I first got my tank, it was a 37 gallon TopFin kit.  I was quite unhappy with the cover that comes with the tank, so I have a NICREW light on order, and I went to my local PetSuppliesPlus and bought the Aqueon VersaTop 30" glass lid, which clearly states it fits a 37 gallon tank.  Sadly when I got home,  the lid was about a quarter inch too long!  Any suggestions as to glass lids or other ideas that will work with the NICREW? 

I make my lids out of polycarbonate sheets that are cheaply found at Home Depot. They are easy to cut and work with my NICREW lights just fine:

spacer.png

I use a clear Command Hook for the handle.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1