Apistogramma Cacatuoides fry

TheChosenOne

IMG_20210915_212519edit.jpg.b1558ba59a303d3258c9a5aefcca2234.jpg

The photo is not the best but I couldn't go full macro with the glass in the way I guess. Just removed Dad from the tank. He's back in the community tank.   Didn't even realize I had finally gotten fry until I just happened to see some of them swimming behind mom when I fed brine shrimp just now.   I was actually making another attempt to trigger spawning.  I never saw eggs never saw wrigglers, so mom did a great job hiding them away. I was convinced her hyper aggression was her frustrated with the male not wanting to breed cause he was hiding away. But nope it was just the typical mom apisto aggression.  Now lets see how many I can raise up.  (sidenote I've raised apisto fry once before but this is my first attempt at doing it on purpose. lol)

I got a very good video of the fry swimming and mom chasing after brine shrimp that I may upload somewhere and try to link. 

There's a photo of dad over in my tank journal postings.  

• Like 4
  • Love 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/17/2021 at 8:36 AM, tolstoy21 said:

Apiso fry are masters of camouflage. They disappear into the the slightest layer of mulm on the bottom of the tank.

I noticed how easily they can blend in with everything.  I'm kind of hoping that's what's going on now but i'm pretty sure I left mom in with the fry for too long and most of them have been eaten.  Oh well. I've got the breeding down just need to learn to maximize the fry survival.