Ich or..?

Bettaboiii

Hello everyone, I was watching my fish tank after work today when i noticed Merlot has this white bump on the side of her face... she seems fine, active and hungry as ever... none of the other fish in the tank have any spots or anything from what ive seen though they are mosquito rasboras and pygmy cories so i might just not be able to see... I've never dealt with any of my bettas having something like this. she's very special to me i got her as a reject from petsmart when she was frankly much too young to be sold and got her to this point.. I'd appreciate any help, and if needed i can do a water test in the morning. 

20210908_015124.jpg

It would be very helpful if you provide some more photos and water parameters. 

From first glance, it looks like a wound, sore, infection, or fungus but I can't get a good look with your pic. You can quarantine and treat with the med trio and clean water and it should reside. It looks like you just caught whatever it is in its beginning stage and that is great for treating early!

• Like 1

Unfortunately I can not get the med trio in Canada which is why i need help identifying it.. i can try again in the morning because that one picture took me 20 minuites to capture... poor Merlot will never trust the tweezers ever again after how i used them to coral her to the front. She hates being observed, which is why her stress stripes are up... I will also definitely  test my water. i just got off the night shift at work and am Exaughsted 😪

On 9/8/2021 at 2:30 AM, Keeg said:

It would be very helpful if you provide some more photos and water parameters. 

From first glance, it looks like a wound, sore, infection, or fungus but I can't get a good look with your pic. You can quarantine and treat with the med trio and clean water and it should reside. It looks like you just caught whatever it is in its beginning stage and that is great for treating early!

It appears that it could be early enough that you can provide her with clean water and less stress to hopefully aid her in fighting it off herself. If it continues to grow but doesn't affect her behavior, it could be a growth like a tumor, fairly common older bettas. When did the spot appear? 

Great news! (?) the bump seems to have dissappeared today... I got home and checked out Merlot n the quarentine tank and she still has her strrss stripes but i cant see the weird growth at all! and i was finally gonna try and take more pictures... ah well 

that said i did water test, i can't get a good photo of the water vials that shows the colour but i have 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 20 nitrate. and i have somewhere around 30 GH and 40 KH and 7.8 pH. my city gets its water from our lake so it has plenty of good minerals. 

Merlot here is really young though, i got her at approx 3-5 months old and shes been in my care for 3 months now... I know its a long shot with the photo but i can tell you it was Hard almost like a barnacle.. i poked it with a toothpick to see if it was food originally. it also was only the one. if anyone has any idea what it is I would appreciate knowing. Also she is in a community tank with 6 mosquito rasboras and 5 pygmy cories.. i still haven't seen anything but would somthing like this be contagious?

• Love 1

On 9/8/2021 at 2:53 AM, Keeg said:

It appears that it could be early enough that you can provide her with clean water and less stress to hopefully aid her in fighting it off herself. If it continues to grow but doesn't affect her behavior, it could be a growth like a tumor, fairly common older bettas. When did the spot appear? 

I am unsure when it appeared... it must have been recently though since i watch my tanks every day after work to calm down and get ready for bed. but as said its gone. i am going to keep her in quarentine for a few more days to keep an eye on her though

• Like 1