pig nose puffer tank size? (Tetraodon suvattii)

Rellad

Hi everyone! I have a spare 29 gallon tank that I would love to put a Pig nose puffer in, I have quite a few different freshwater puffer species, so I know I would be perfectly capable of keep one, my question is that I know a 40 breeder would be the perfect tank size for them, but would a 29 tall be adequate... I have seen many mixed suggestions online and just can make up my mind so I would love to get some other opinions   

I know there is someone in here who keeps them, so what they say would be best, but I would recommend sticking with a 40B+. The interesting things about the T. Suvattii is that they are one of the species of puffer that loves to burrow and ambush (though lots of puffers do burrow, only a few species constantly do.) Having the 36x18 floor print would be beneficial as they grow as well as allowing you to scape it to provide them with plenty hiding places. The 29, being a 30x12 floorprint is pretty limited in comparison. Though solely a 6" fish that isn't crazy active by nature might be fine in a 29, the more space you can provide it will provide it more water volume to assist with water quality as well. 

• Like 1

I'm seriously considering getting another 40 breeder for one, the only reason I'm even considering the 29 is because already have it setup and cycled, and my Lfs has one that is full grown, they have the poor thing in maybe 10 gallons of water and its been there for a while

I've been there in the whole process of saving something from a LFS, so I understand where you're coming from. Getting it and acclimating it to a 29 should be ok short term, but I would also bring home a 40B the same day as a reminder you need to move the puffer over as soon as you can once the 40B is setup and the cycle is complete. If you're stuck with keeping the 29 or replacing it with the 40, going with the 40 is the way to go even if the puffer sells before you're able to bring it home. 

I think I've decided on what I will do, I'm moving my T.schoutedeni puffer to a 75 i have ready for him, instead of keeping the amazon puffer I have in that 40, I will keep him in the 29, he is still only around 2" so that tank will work for now just fine I think, then the pig nose can have his 40!

yes I will be rehoming him soon unfortunately, i just wont be able to give him the prefect home he deserves as i think its right if I allow someone else too do so, I would have gotten quite a few more and housed them in the 75 but I plan on using that to breed the schoutedeni when i get 4 or 5 more... or at least attempting it