Plant/vine identification

Curious if anyone has any idea of this plant. I don’t think I intentionally introduced it. It most closely resembles a “goat head” tribulus terrestris/bindii vine, which is why it somewhat concerns me. 

It is in an inside pond with Anubis a couple of different types of moss, a drawn water lily, windelov Java fern, and a tall broad leafed/bamboo like plant.

BBB9E783-BCCC-4E10-8496-B04D1AC4DB10.jpeg

11A7FEBD-07EF-4ABF-A4EA-4B00DCD6E180.jpeg

I believe this to be one of several species of Pondweed, they're native to the US, they don't cause any problems to the environment, but I don't know what good they do except maybe add oxygen to lower levels of a lake, or maybe food for bottom dwellers. I'm more familiar with Sago Pondweed so google Sago Pondweed and see what, if anything you can come up with.

On 8/17/2021 at 10:59 PM, TioTeo said:

Curious if anyone has any idea of this plant.

You have Utricularia gibba.  It is a carnivorous plant.  Not big enough to be a danger unless you are rearing copepods.  Some consider it to be a weed in aquariums as it is difficult to fully eradicate from mosses.  I enjoy it however.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/18/2021 at 4:32 AM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

You have Utricularia gibba.  It is a carnivorous plant.  Not big enough to be a danger unless you are rearing copepods.  Some consider it to be a weed in aquariums as it is difficult to fully eradicate from mosses.  I enjoy it however.

Interesting, I knew this looked unique enough to warrant investigating further.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utricularia_gibba

Glad to know it should not be a problem for the young Midaka rice fish I am rearing in this indoor pond. I am trying to decide if I want to remove it now, while it looks like it is only a few strands thick, or just leave it. I assume like most aquarium organisms, it will manage itself with limited food sources in the water. In which case it may not be a big deal to leave and grow, but I will just need to be conscious of the possibility of spreading it to further tanks.

Thanks,