Chlorella or Spirulina?

CalmedByFish

In a last-ditch effort to save my dying Ramshorn snails, I want to buy straight-up algae for them. They've eaten every speck from the tanks, and I wonder if they need it.

My 2 options are Chlorella (single-celled green algae), or Spirulina (a cyanobacteria called blue-green algae.)

Which comes closest to being the type of hard, flat green algae that grows on aquarium glass? 

On 6/24/2021 at 3:03 PM, BriannesFishFam said:

Both will work just great. I don't know the whole story of what has happened or what you've done so far. The ramshorn could be old. What is your KH and GH in the tank? Do you buffer if so with what?

The reply no one on a fish forum wants to hear: I'm not even checking KH and GH. I'm hurrying to get rid of about half of what I own and move. I may even need to just shrug and let the ramshorns die out. 

So here's what I can tell you: Bladder snails and malaysian trumpet snails in the same tanks are doing great. And the ramshorns had been growing and breeding fast until they ate all the algae. So I'm just gonna rapidly throw some algae-replacement at them and see if it works... while I pack/trash/recycle/etc. 😞 

Future readers, Chlorella works great as a food source! I put 1/4 of a tablet in 2 tanks last night. This morning, they look like snail mountains. Ramshorn and bladder both love it. 

Word of advice: Chlorella is marketed for human consumption rather than for aquariums, so read the ingredient label very carefully to make sure it contains nothing but chlorella (ie algae). An easy way to cut the tablets small enough is with a pill cutter (a couple dollars at a pharmacy or online.) And of course, your snails will still need other food, like Calcium and protein.