wave maker with sump is it possible?

Mr.Dropp

I got a 90 gallon with a sump I want to add a wave maker for a few different reasons. by doing a quick google search I read a few different topics sayin it shouldn't or cant be done. I'm lookin for more input on this, any help would be greatly appreciated. 

On 6/24/2021 at 3:09 PM, BriannesFishFam said:

Wave maker in or out of the sump. By the sounds of it you are putting it in the tank? There is no problem if the wave maker is in the tank, the sump however isn't a good idea

It’s going on the tank not the sump 

Pretty much every marine reef aquarium has a sump and they almost all use wavemakers, so there shouldn't be a major issue. Now, having said that, if you have a drilled tank and the feed to the sump is fairly high up in the tank and the wavemaker will make big enough waves so the feed hole to the sump is occasionally out of the water, that could be an issue.

The term wavemaker is used pretty generically these days, but a true "wavemaker" is a series of pumps (at least two) on either side of the aquarium that pulse on and off and create a back and forth current, much like waves along a coastline. They're wired together and typically have a controller of some sort. You can find true wavemakers that create six inch or larger waves which could affect flow to a sump if not properly accounted for. If you're just using one pump to increase circulation, it shouldn't be an issue.

• Like 1