Outdoor Mini-Pond

Sharon

I  live in Texas where summers are HOT. I've always kept goldfish in my horse tanks to eat mosquitos. I've also kept Koi in horse tanks, and still do.  They thrive.  I thought I'd pass along a tip. When I use metal tanks,  all is well. The black plastic ones will cook your fish,  though in this kind of heat. This year I have started an outside tank with white cloud mountain minnows. So far they are doing well in spite of a couple 102 degree days. They are on a shaded concrete patio. Not sure what will happen if we get some of those 110 degree days. I have air stones in their water. The koi have a DIY. pond pump/filter similar to the one Cory showed how to build in a video. Thanks Cory. My koi are 20 years old as are some of the goldfish. 

• Like 5

I live just north of you and we've already hit 110 degrees 🥵 I have my White Clouds in the black plastic tubs and have experienced the opposite. My White Clouds are thriving despite the heat and I have found the temperature stays pretty stable. I have very little shade around the tub, but plenty of floating plants and a large sponge filter. Maybe under a certain size the temperatures can get too high? Mine are 110 gallon. I have not tried the galvanized metal tubs for the same fear of leaching, but have read some contradicting arguments on both ends of the spectrum, so it's good to hear that yours are thriving and doing well in them. 

I live in south Alabama so I have some of the similar weather/heat that Tx has. I also have horses and wanted to keep some fish in the tanks however, I am curious what you do about the algae in the tank. Maybe I wont be worried about the algae if I know I can keep the pesky mosquitoes at bay. How often, if at all, do y'all do "water changes"? do you worry about dechlorinator when you top off/ refill the tubs? Also, do any of you have "water splashers"? I have 2 that will stick their feet in the troughs and paw and splash water....Im worried about the fish..😒

• 1 year later...

Galvanized horse tanks do not hurt goldfish, white cloud mountain minnow, zebra daino, Odessa Barbs, koi, and guppies from my experience. I don't know about other fish. 

I have both cleaned my horse tanks when too much algae and just left the algae. Im sure the fush love the algae and use it for food. Horses probably appreciate clean water but they deal.  Since I have well water, I do not worry about declorinating the water but I'd think this would be necessary with city water. 

This year I have a tan plastic tub, 100 gallons. I love it. I have a 1/4 inch mesh wire inserted below the plants on right side. I use a shrimp net to capture the fry that congregate in that area so I can move them to a grow out tank. The plants and inserted wire are sitting on a upside down bucket so the water's about 4 inches deep in that area and shallower.  The white tiles help the fry show up since they are so tiny. This year i got a couple hundred GWCMM and long-finned zebra daino. The thing in the center is a modified aquac20220623_102246.jpg.5c40f1549c5c1c7d72056f72573753bd.jpglear HOB Filter. The foil keeps the water from splashing out.

20220623_102246.jpg.5c40f1549c5c1c7d72056f72573753bd.jpg

• Love 1