Apisto grouping/ratio

JamieDC

Hey everyone,

I’m interested in getting a female companion for my male apisto. Cacatuoides. I have a 65g community tank and wanted to round the tank out with this last pairing. I’m just not sure if one or two females is the way to go. I will be buying online as I can’t get these locally. Also my male is a double red but I can only find triple reds online, which I believe will not be an issue. Any experience/advice you have is welcome. 
TIA

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JamieDC said:

Hey everyone,

I’m interested in getting a female companion for my male apisto. Cacatuoides. I have a 65g community tank and wanted to round the tank out with this last pairing. I’m just not sure if one or two females is the way to go. I will be buying online as I can’t get these locally. Also my male is a double red but I can only find triple reds online, which I believe will not be an issue. Any experience/advice you have is welcome. 
TIA

Love Apistos! Miss our Cacatuoides. I recommend buying two females for a couple reasons. First, if one is unhealthy... you’ve got the other. Secondly, it’s very common for there to be sneaker males. Buying two lowers the risk of male on male aggression. And finally, buying two females increases the likelihood of forming a good bond. Just be sure that you have two small caves. Good luck!

(P. S. ~ When the female is ready to spawn, she will turn yellow and will try to entice the male to her chosen cave)

Fish Folk - follow up question and sorry if I misunderstood. If I do get two female apistos and one is a sneaker male (that’s what happened with my first apisto) then I will have two males to one female. Is that ratio okay or will this result in aggression over the lone female?