Seismic Analysis of the Standard Concrete Block and 2x4 Tank Stand

A long long ago I said I might do this and finally decided too. For reference I perform structural engineering for money 5 or more days a week. Abstract and conclusions are listed below and attached but I will link the full check.

This analysis was performed using the 2015 International Building Code and the American Society of Civil Engineers spec 7-10. A simple overturning check was performed to determine the shelves probability of collapse compared to building structures. Due to the low risk to human life, an overturning FS = 1 was used and tank sloshing was assumed to have negligible effects.

For reference the 2015 IBC ground motion maps incorporate “a target risk of structural collapse equal to 1% in 50 years based upon generic structural fragility”. So it may be the case that even in areas of higher risk the probability of tank stand collapse within a lifetime remains low. See risk maps located on page 5.

https://forum.aquariumcoop.com/files/file/26-seismic-analysis-of-the-standard-concrete-block-and-2x4-tank-stand/

Capture.JPG

• Like 4

Hello @TheDukeAnumber1, I must say that for this forum you used too low of a importance factor as most people here would define an aquarium as an essential facility 😂

Joking aside, it is really cool that you did this. I appreciate the effort and thought you put into this. I would also say that it is worth mentioning that I believe you used four 20 gallon aquariums for this analysis correct? 

Also, living in California where our Sds is around .5 (.49 or so where I live). I have experienced a earthquake(I live far from the epicenter of this earthquake however) where my aquariums were rocking a little and the water was almost spilling out the top of the aquarium. I have a 55 gallon, 40 breeder, 29 gallon, 10 and a 5 gallon. They were all perfectly ok and are on traditional stands you get from the pet store. 

With this style of cmu and wood modular stand, I imagine racking and/or sliding of the aquarium and aquarium stand would be of a concern as well. I dont think these stands have any braces correct?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Isaac M said:

Hello @TheDukeAnumber1, I must say that for this forum you used too low of a importance factor as most people here would define an aquarium as an essential facility 😂

Lol, it isn't occupied by large groups of people but I suppose it could be required for post disaster recovery 😛

I did use 20 gallon aquariums in the check and referenced this video for the stand construction.

Cory's DYI Stand Video

And yes I believe some sliding is a possibility as there is no bracing.

• Like 2