Favorite background plants for low-tech tank

Tara.C.

What are your favorite background plants for a low-tech tank? I can do moderate to high light with mg Finnex 24/7 CRV, but I'm not running Co2. Just had to rip out my green myrio because the leaves started dying. (A real head-scratcher because I thought it was almost impossible to kill... meanwhile my water sprite and moneywort are growing like crazy). I'm using liquid ferts and substantial lighting. I'm a newbie, so easy to moderate care only. Probably not amazon swords since they get so large. My tank is only 29 gallons. I don't mind trimming frequently, but I don't want anything that's giant because I prefer to keep a big variety of plants. I like the look of anacharis, but I keep my tank at 79°, and I know they prefer cooler water.im using eco-complete substrate. Root tabs, and liquid ferts as needed.

Fun! I'm currently keeping (from left to right) water sprite, Bacopa caroliniana, crypt spiralis, Pogostemon stellatus "Octopus", and Aponogeton crispus in the background of my low tech 20-gallon tank. The bacopa is the tallest so far and I've already trimmed it a couple of times. The pogostemon and water sprite were added more recently, so we'll see if they catch up. I basically just went shopping on the Background Plants section of the Aquarium Co-Op website and bought everything that looked cool. 😂

933355493_20200903_165409Algaegrowthisrecedingplantsaregrowing.jpg.fbd3706712f1f0b79625eb22b92c5603.jpg

• Like 1

My go to/favorite background plants are crypt spiralis and ludwigia acruata. When it comes to stem plants try try try! to get them from your LFS, local club, or the co-op because there you will get plants that have already been converted from emerse grown. Stems are very very hit or miss when it comes to converting them in low tech setups (just my opinion).

My favorite background plant of all time is the Amazon sword. It's so easy to care for and grows to an impressive size. They do really well with root tabs. I know you weren't huge on the idea due to the size, but there are several varieties that may provide the difference in texture/appearance that you desire.

Edited by ange
  • Like 1

On 9/15/2020 at 2:09 PM, Irene said:

Fun! I'm currently keeping (from left to right) water sprite, Bacopa caroliniana, crypt spiralis, Pogostemon stellatus "Octopus", and Aponogeton crispus in the background of my low tech 20-gallon tank. The bacopa is the tallest so far and I've already trimmed it a couple of times. The pogostemon and water sprite were added more recently, so we'll see if they catch up. I basically just went shopping on the Background Plants section of the Aquarium Co-Op website and bought everything that looked cool. 😂

933355493_20200903_165409Algaegrowthisrecedingplantsaregrowing.jpg.fbd3706712f1f0b79625eb22b92c5603.jpg

@IreneI really like the look of your tank.  I am contemplating trying my first planted tank in a 10g.  Thank you for sharing and listing the plants used.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2020 at 2:09 PM, Irene said:

I just added some pogostemon from the co-op. Ripped out my myrio and moneywort and replaced with creeping jenny and cabomba. These seem to be doing better in my lighting. Also ordered some water sprite and crypt lucens for my other tank, and they look great!