Philosophical Question on Culling

Goosedub

6 minutes ago, CalmedByFish said:

I just remembered something that I don't think anyone's mentioned.

Part of what pushed me into "my fish can eat my fish" was just reading the ingredient list on their flake food one day, and wondering how exactly the fish in the flake food went from swimming to unconscious. It was probably a horrible experience for them. Probably not anything quick or humane about it.

From thinking about that, staring at the ingredient list, I realized whatever happens in our home aquariums is usually far less awful. 

Now that I think about it, it may actually be more ethical to feed our carnivorous fish in a way that keeps us in charge of how the food-fish are treated throughout their life and death. Not practical really - but getting closer to ideal.

It's true! I still think about this incredible article about working as a deck hand on a salmon fishing boat in Alaska, and the opening lines are not for the faint of heart:

https://narratively.com/how-to-stay-sane-as-a-female-deckhand-in-alaska/

Often, at least, the fish are stunned by hitting them and hopefully unconscious when they're gutted. But it's not a pretty business. Getting eaten in one gulp by an acara is probably a better way to go!

I love all of the opinions on this thread. I, personally and keeping the water cooler for slower breeding. I love that livebearers make more fish. I have heard horror stories about it getting out of control and I definitely don’t want that. I also want to put my endlers in a mini pond this summer too. I just want to be thoughtful about it so it doesn’t get to a point where I have a problem. When they start getting more populated, I will def feed less. I’m feeding a lot now because I actually want more. It’s just a weird place to be in. With some of these highly proliferative fish populations.

• Like 1