Hydra???

laritheloud

I found my first hydra in my tank, and googling gives me nothing but doom and gloom. How much should I be worried about hydra? I have one tetra fry I discovered in my community tank. I have snails, too, so I'm not interested in pouring a de-wormer in that will kill my snails.

• Like 1

I ended up with hydra in my fry box, and eventually, celestial pearl danio tank. As far as I can tell, the hydra never killed any of my fry. I lost ~7 out of 50 to various weak swimming maladies/failure to thrive, but I can't imagine that was linked to the hydra. I was just about to order some No Planaria from Amazon, but decided to wait it out. Cutting back on feedings of baby brine shrimp has essentially eradicated all the hydra in the tank. It took a while, maybe 3-4 weeks, but starving them out is an easy, med-free, option.

edit: I didn't have any luck getting ramshorn or bladder snails to eat my hydra. I purposely added bunches of them to the fry box to help clean up leftover food, and they would frequently cruise right by the hydra.

Edited by Schwack
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Schwack said:

I ended up with hydra in my fry box, and eventually, celestial pearl danio tank. As far as I can tell, the hydra never killed any of my fry. I lost ~7 out of 50 to various weak swimming maladies/failure to thrive, but I can't imagine that was linked to the hydra. I was just about to order some No Planaria from Amazon, but decided to wait it out. Cutting back on feedings of baby brine shrimp has essentially eradicated all the hydra in the tank. It took a while, maybe 3-4 weeks, but starving them out is an easy, med-free, option.

edit: I didn't have any luck getting ramshorn or bladder snails to eat my hydra. I purposely added bunches of them to the fry box to help clean up leftover food, and they would frequently cruise right by the hydra.

Eh, I'll just try not to worry about it. The next fish I'm going to add to the tank are endlers and honey gourami, anyway, and both apparently eat hydra up. I'll see if I can hold back on the BBS while also making sure the fry is getting what it needs. It's hiding very well in our mosses, and this morning I just made sure to drop some repashy near his hiding spot and hope that the corydoras sent some bits flying his way. The little guy appears to be picking food bits I can't even see out of the mosses so it must be doing all right!