Mini pond/ tub

NickG83

Hey all, I’ve recently (about 3 weeks ago) set up this above ground mini pond with bog filter. Water is pumped out from pond, into the gravel/plant filled bog which the water flows up through, then returns to the pond. The pump is inside a tub thing with sponge over to make it safe for small fish. All seems good, apart from all those bubbles from the air stone that don’t seem to be popping very quickly... why might this be? I’ve tested the water and it seems fine. Possibly showing a little ammonia (but always hard to tell with the colours). If there is ammonia though, it’s only a very small amount... Also if it is ammonia, where has it come from? No fish in there as yet... There’s a lily in the bottom which hasn’t started growing yet, and a few oxygenating plants also in the bottom, and a bit of water cress floating, plus obviously the bog plants. Really though it’s just these bubbles that concern me... should I be concerned? If so, what could be causing them? And what should I do to rectify them? Fish probs won’t be going in for a couple of months when the weather warms up. Thanks for any info, Nick.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks @KBOzzie59 I think it might be slight ammonia (where this has come from I don’t know...) hopefully it will sort itself out, I’ll have to just keep an eye on it. Maybe it’s just cycling... What also confuses me is how it came almost immediately after filling. I did think it may have been the stress coat I used to declorinate, so I did a full 100% water change, refilled and used prime instead, but it soon came back... weird 

It is possible your pond is still cycling and there is ammonia. Plants generate ammonia, so all your plants and plant waste may be contributing to this. They are basically proteins/biofilm on the surface helping with the surface tension and allowing the bubbles to stay a little longer. Keep an eye on your parameters and most definitely do not add fish until ammonia and nitrites are zero.

It is a beautiful setup 🙂

Edited by eatyourpeas