looking for advice re: Endler/guppy hybrid genetics and planning

Chiller

3 female, and 2 male endler/guppy hybrids have recently come under my care. My goal for the future is to have a sustainable, robust population. I don't mind whatever coloration or patterning they might produce. I have heard that I should introduce new genes periodically, but I'm afraid I might not be able to find endlers around here. These were the first I've found available near me. Question being: Would there be any problem introducing a guppy into the population at some point in the future?

Also, any kind of tips for what to keep an eye out for, regarding genetic disorders would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Edited by Chiller

Since they're already a mix endlers and guppies, may as well cross them with whatever you like! Endler fanciers like myself will often like to keep purebred "N-class" endlers, directly related to the wild-caught endlers that have never been crossed with guppies. Those, we keep in separate tanks in separate parts of the house, even, from any guppies.

But if you know you have a hybrid, and don't much care about the coloration of the offspring, feel free to add whatever's available, endler or guppy. I've heard that endlers are often more hardy and less likely to eat their young than guppies, but I have both breeding away in separate tanks and I haven't noticed much difference!

That said, with two males, I think you'll have plenty of genetic variation to see you through at least a couple years of endler-guppy husbandry. You'll have fry before you know it, and those fry will have fry, and congratulations, you now have 200+ young fish to feed and rehome. At that point, it's really survival of the fittest, and males will do a little mating dance to win females, who'll get to be choosy, so I think you can let nature take over at that point and let the fish select their preferred mates.

But a fish swap with other livebearer owners is never a bad thing for keeping the stock genetically exciting. Just make sure they know you have hybrids.

• Like 1

endlers and guppies cross very well. with 3 females, and 2 males it will likely be a very very long time before you have to worry about recessive problems due to inbreeding. if you were to start with just 1 male, and 1 female then the inbreeding could become problematic genetically in a short time.