backups for storms

Rebekaacres

I was thinking today about how people talk about oxygen in tanks when they loose power. Here in New England it is common to loose power in the winter with snow storms. We had lost power a few years ago and we were worried about pipes bursting. What do people do in the winter with our fish tanks if we loose power? Are there battery powered heaters out there?

There really isn't a "battery operated heater" that I know of. The co op does have a great air pump that has built in back up power. That way if the power goes out it will still run to keep the water circulating in your tank. For heat I will usually keep extra blankets around and cover over my tanks to help keep the heat in if the power goes out for more than just a few hours. I have seen people use those chemical hand warmers wrapped in a small washcloth and taped to the sides of the tank then blankets placed around the tank as well 

• Like 1

I have not used this for this purpose but I have for running irrigation on polo fields where there was no power. They have small solar panels that will charge car batteries. You can the get a inverter. I post a setup from eBay and the second is an inverter. The first includes one. They have different sizes and how many batteries. Now they have other batteries as well. You can plug regular plugs in. The run from about $80 To several $1000,s. If you are fairly handy you can do it your self. The bigger they are you might want to have one installed. My friend has a small one setup in the top half of the window and runs all the things that plug in in his bedroom. Tv, lights. Maybe something you want to look into. I’m in S.Florida so winter isn’t a big deal. I hope it helps or gives you some ideas. I do try to remind people it’s electricity and be safe. 

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjDo42ajbn4AhWVbm8EHaO6BOEYABAKGgJqZg&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESa-D2PFoBjVOwCB7WOdGCfKnm1xhd52fHj97NmGjWT5m8ZdBFtVC-lLKVKQewG84UW9bTzjG4HibMglQk-kb8SLhq4qoYcbCow2S1EFTyMEDpW2jV2Aou7hIk1gOFfldQPA9IdGRNK9BxiuyO&sig=AOD64_06aL5CMKnRwPexCWmgGX1lWCYs_Q&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwj_3oKajbn4AhXllWoFHcCWCGMQwg8oAHoECAEQFw&adurl=

https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-watt-continuous2000-watt-peak-modified-sine-wave-power-inverter-63522.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiOTI3Njk1OTciLCJza3UiOiI2MzUyMiIsImlzIjoiNzkuOTkxOTk5OTk5OTk5OTkifQ%3D%3D&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=17484084661&campaignid=17484084661&utm_content=140255685320&adsetid=140255685320&product=63522&store=649&gclid=Cj0KCQjwkruVBhCHARIsACVIiOyLDFurogTbRKfwGBsLkRwnAGwZIVis6_OzWABHkpxe5dQ6GOfBoLAaAkZCEALw_wcB

@Rebekaacres I suggested the solar setup as one solution that you could use for other things 100Ah 12V deep-cycle lead-acid battery run from $60 to $400+ it is fairly inexpensive. If you are interested do some research I hate to say but some of info posted is out of date and wrong. I can say that the wrapping with blankets will help for a few hours. There are battery back you systems that would run a aquarium heater for up to 7 days. I would not put heat water on a camp stove indoors to 120* and place in your aquarium. The biggest killer during power outages are from carbon dioxide. 

• Like 1